Accuracy versus velocity

It has been very informative,that's what make this site great. I find myself reading all the threads about reloading even if it is about an issue that I'm not having because it gives me more knowledge so I maybe know how to solve some of the issues if and when they do show up

Then you are ahead than most new reloaders. Some if not most want instant gratification. Some do not even read up on their reloading manual. About a week ago or so, a member claims he knows exactly what he was doing, that was not clearly the case as LRH members tried to help him. One thing I learned early on when I first joined was that there is always someone that is more knowledgeable and has more real-world experience than I have.

There are lots of good folks here that are always willing and able to help. Like I said, take your time and enjoy the learning process. It is never too late to learn something new; learning is a continuous process.

I think it depends on what you consider accurate.Do you need Bench Rest accuracy to shoot at 400 yards?Yes if it is prairie rat,no if it is an Elk.If you have a bench rest accurate rifle,when you are hunting you will not be shooting of a bench in most circumstances.So if your rifle shoots 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards ,you are good to go at deer sized game at 400 yards.We all hope for better than 1 1/2 " groups,but that is all that is needed.JMHO,Huntz

When working up loads for hunting does it really matter to get that extra 150-200fps if your personal limits are 400yds and under , seem like I find pretty good load on the lower end of powder charges often or right around max , but I'm not a long range shooter don't really see any benefit to pushing it to the limit. Is there another take on this? Or other reason I'm not aware of pushing faster
I guess I'm in a rut but I have found my Niche where everything works well for me and I leave it alone. I shoot the same ammo in the same guns all of the time.(On some rifles it took a while to hit that preferred ammo)

When working up loads for hunting does it really matter to get that extra 150-200fps if your personal limits are 400yds and under , seem like I find pretty good load on the lower end of powder charges often or right around max , but I'm not a long range shooter don't really see any benefit to pushing it to the limit. Is there another take on this? Or other reason I'm not aware of pushing faster
First, what are you shooting? And yes, if you're getting accuracy at 2600fps, that's better than inaccurate loads at 2700fps. However, my 30-06s get good accuracy with 180 grain Speer or Sierra bullets at velocities from 2600 up to 2750, so I try for around 2700fps, due to the extra penetration and better wounding at distances past 200 yards.

Accuracy over velocity every time. If your optimum load (in terms of accuracy) doesn't provide enough terminal velocity to provide reliable expansion and lethality at the ranges you wish to shoot at, you should probably consider a different cartridge.

Kind of a garbage statement. There are a number of circumstances where the velocity is critical to bullet performance (minimum fps for expansion), especially at longer distances.
Example: 308 -168gr NBT bullet 2500 vs 2800 fps - 1800 fps minimum for expansion
Let's say the 2500 fps load shoots .5 MOA and the 2800 fps load shoots 2 MOA.

The 2500 load falls below the minimum at just over 400 yards
The 2800 load falls below the minimum at just over 550 yards.
AND the 2800 load will still hit within 6" from point of aim @550. Plenty enough to kill deer and elk.
Even though I skewed the example in favor of the slower more accurate load, you see a real world example where velocity was more important. Now, most guns shoot 1.5 MOA or better and several guarantee sub moa.
The only time your example applies is when one load shoots acceptable accuracy and the other does not, and/or target shooting.

Using your example, which is extremely exaggerated. Extremely!

At 550 yds my 300fps slower .5 moa gun is still taking head shots while your faster gun is struggling to hit anything important.

Assuming your a master at wind reading. Because just a puff of wind on that 2 moa load is gonna render that additional expansion useless.

Still taking the more accurate load. No question.

If you need more speed, find an accurate load with a bigger cartridge.

Accuracy first, and I love pushing everything to the edge but accuracy always comes first, The Deer doesn't have any idea how fast the bullets going when it hits him
I agree: Accurate first, Velocity second, bullet BC,Techniques in hand loading, chronograph to know what the bullet is doing. Shooting at longer ranges other than just 100 yds.
SSS
Mike

The answer is simple, pick the bullet that is constructed to do the job, if just target shooting, not an issue. Then step load till you find where you start to see pressure. Back off .75 of a grain, play with COAL till you get the best accuracy possible. Now go down .2 of a grain at a time to see if you hit a more accurate load. I have never failed to find a great shooting load very near the max safe loads for any rifle. There are nodes that are accurate and some are at lower velocity, but the theory that slower is always more accurate is pure nonsense. The issue is can you hit the next higher node at safe pressure. It also becomes, just how much more accurate is one load over the other and only the actual user can decide if the accuracy gain is worth a trade off in speed, and that will be determined by specific application. A 1/2 inch 458 versus a 1" 458 Win Mag makes no difference whatever, but on a 1000 yard rifle, big difference.

The answer is simple, pick the bullet that is constructed to do the job, if just target shooting, not an issue. Then step load till you find where you start to see pressure. Back off .75 of a grain, play with COAL till you get the best accuracy possible. Now go down .2 of a grain at a time to see if you hit a more accurate load. I have never failed to find a great shooting load very near the max safe loads for any rifle. There are nodes that are accurate and some are at lower velocity, but the theory that slower is always more accurate is pure nonsense. The issue is can you hit the next higher node at safe pressure. It also becomes, just how much more accurate is one load over the other and only the actual user can decide if the accuracy gain is worth a trade off in speed, and that will be determined by specific application. A 1/2 inch 458 versus a 1" 458 Win Mag makes no difference whatever, but on a 1000 yard rifle, big difference.
Some posters can put it in such good context, its not putting accuracy ahead of velocity or velocity ahead of accuracy. Its having and enjoying both at the same time, why would anyone not want both?

In my humble opinion, accuracy needs to come first. I always try to eek as much velocity as I can out of my cartridges but the best shooting groups aren't always the speed demons. The speedsters just help with less elevation change in your shooting ranges but as we all should know the biggest and most important aspects is knowing your rifle and your own capabilities. Out to 400 yds not quite as big a factor but you still need to know. Think about some of the old buffalo shooters back in the day shooting them big ol slow bullets. They knew their rifles and how to shoot them. So what if your bullet is going a little slower, you just have to adjust for it and know you can make the hit. So as I said Accuracy first.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.