Accuracy versus velocity

Generally, 1-2 hundred doesn't matter at 400 or less.
Some exceptions are:
A marginally adequate cartridge for the game hunted
An overly heavy bullet for cartridge
Bullets that fall below the minimum velocity for expansion at your maximum distance.

For a 308 and elk at 400, I'd try to find the extra 1-2 hundred fps (even sacrifice a little accuracy to do so). For deer, if take the most accurate load.
Very well said It all depends. I really hate reading about some individual using a bullet with not enough ftlbs of energy to effectively kill his quary. If your talking punching paper that is a totally different subject. I suggest you do a " ladder test" to find the Ballistic node the work up groups then adjusting seating depths or changing primers to fine tune. YES IT TAKES TIME. GOOD LUCK
ODAVID

They could be trade offs. If you get in to pressure just at the edge of your high node, that max load might be a bit less accurate than a lower node, let's say 5/8 MOA opposed to 3/8 MOA at a lower node.

If you suck at reading wind and take very long shots, the wind drift might be more important.

It's a corner case but some people live at the corners.

It also depends on what degree of accuracy we're looking for. I have several rifles that shot well under .5 MOA and then opened up to .5 or a little over with 100-150 fps increase in velocity at or near max pressure. If I can have .5 +/- accuracy with the additional velocity in a hunting rifle, I'll take it every time! Especially since I'm shooting monos in most of my rifles......like the extra speed for monos! Sure I love shooting tiny little groups......who doesn't....but .5 in a hunting rifle is good enough for me!

+1 for accuracy first. The best rifle to shoot is the one that you can trust.
A 190gr ABLR that leaves my barrel at 2850 is still within its performance parameters set by Nosler at 1,250yds. In my opinion, those extra couple hundred feet per second are not important.

It also depends on what degree of accuracy we're looking for. I have several rifles that shot well under .5 MOA and then opened up to .5 or a little over with 100-150 fps increase in velocity at or near max pressure. If I can have .5 +/- accuracy with the additional velocity in a hunting rifle, I'll take it every time! Especially since I'm shooting monos in most of my rifles......like the extra speed for monos! Sure I love shooting tiny little groups......who doesn't....but .5 in a hunting rifle is good enough for me!
You are correct about the monos, and speed, the work together, and one needs the other to work.

Seems like the bragging rights are more important than the performance to some. I check several sites and they all are the same everyone trying to one up the next guy. If someone ask about a mild load, they get crucified. Sadly we attack each other first. Even though we are all on the same side.

In my case, the short barreled rigs are 6.5x47 lapuas, well and one 30-06. Those velocities I posted are putting the gas to them lol, they just have small engines. But quite fun to shoot and when you shoot more, you read wind better. Life is full of tradeoffs and I can certainly see the big rigs and huge bullets have their place. I just like shooting and hunting with the smaller ones these days. Stuff keeps dying.

In my case, the short barreled rigs are 6.5x47 lapuas, well and one 30-06. Those velocities I posted are putting the gas to them lol, they just have small engines. But quite fun to shoot and when you shoot more, you read wind better. Life is full of tradeoffs and I can certainly see the big rigs and huge bullets have their place. I just like shooting and hunting with the smaller ones these days. Stuff keeps dying.
Don't see bashing, see differences in opinion and approach. All my cartridges are small engines also and if you can run them hard and still get accuracy its a win win.

The idea that accuracy and velocity are competing objectives is a False Premise. With modern powders, the high node often appears near max.

Over and over, I see people make statements about ceasing load development because groups opened up above a certain velocity or powder charge. People who do this are often leaving quite a bit of performance on the table because they stopped testing well short of max, never reaching the high node (where groups tighten again). The high node with modern powders is often MORE consistent than the node below it. ES and SD numbers from a chronograph will often reflect this.

Treating accuracy and velocity as competing objectives is likely to rob the shooter of higher velocity, flatter trajectory, reduced wind drift, and possibly improved terminal performance, in addition to greater consistency. This is true, regardless of the range to target. A shorter range to target only makes these factors less observable.

Accuracy and Velocity are NOT trade-offs. They are COMPLEMENTARY to one another. Is it possible that a given rifle, with a given component combination will be more accurate at a lower node? Of course it is! But, if BOTH the lower node and the high node are not tested, it is not possible to know. People who accept the idea that accuracy and velocity are competing objectives WILL NEVER KNOW!
That say's it all for me, you can often have your cake and eat it too.

While I do place a priority on accuracy over velocity, 100-200FPS in trade off lower then the expected spec/capability is too much to get an accurate load. It would force me to rethink my recipe and I try to operate closer to the expected efficiency range of the cartridge. If I felt the cartridge was overkill for my requirement, I'd likely choose a different cartridge that fit the requirement better. Just me.

When working up loads for hunting does it really matter to get that extra 150-200fps if your personal limits are 400yds and under
Seems like your logic is sound.
With my cartridges I often find a mid-node more accurate than a higher node, and for me there is nothing more powerful than accuracy(at any range). I also like the kind of accuracy that provides half again the barrel life!
With this, I run QuickLoad what-ifs to find fastest & coolest case-filling powder, right at SAAMI max as estimated.
That's what I'll work up to.
It helps tremendously to plan this out from the beginning. Choose the right cartridge capacity for intended bullets.

As ranges get longer, there are various matters in balance (like wind drift, bullet choices, etc.).

When working up loads for hunting does it really matter to get that extra 150-200fps if your personal limits are 400yds and under , seem like I find pretty good load on the lower end of powder charges often or right around max , but I'm not a long range shooter don't really see any benefit to pushing it to the limit. Is there another take on this? Or other reason I'm not aware of pushing faster
The animal your hunting wont know the difference I think accurate placement is better

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.