accuracy problems with new barrel

14cm

284 winchester, 1-9.5 kreiger tube, 162 gr bullet, .010 from touching.

shot three rounds in 1.5" group, went in loaded 3 more, shot them. the second 3 cut the first 3.if it was bedding i do not think they would exactly cut the first 3.

58gr 4831 sc

interarms mauser action, brll carlson stock with aluminum bedding insert.

Have you tried any other powder charge weights or powders altogether? Sounds like you may need to do a ladder test to find your barrel's sweet spot.

Agree with Michael. One load test is far from determining whether you have ANY problems or not. Sometimes bullet seating depth alone will make a huge difference, especially if you are shooting vld's. Good luck........Rich

i have tried several loads 120gr 140gr and now onto 160. have tried 4350 and 4831. i just found it odd it printed 2 perfect 3 shot groups. number 1 and 4 cut, 2 and 5 cut and 3 n 6 cut. these groups were 10 min apart and mesured 1.5". i am about to give up and drive this gun into the ground for a tamato stake. or trade it for a 30-30. probably shoot better ugggggggggg

i have tried several loads 120gr 140gr and now onto 160. have tried 4350 and 4831. i just found it odd it printed 2 perfect 3 shot groups. number 1 and 4 cut, 2 and 5 cut and 3 n 6 cut. these groups were 10 min apart and mesured 1.5". i am about to give up and drive this gun into the ground for a tamato stake. or trade it for a 30-30. probably shoot better ugggggggggg

OK, I think I see what you are saying now! It sounds very much like a scope problem. I would mount another scope and see what it does. First, you might want to check and see if everything is tight on the scope and mounts and also your bedding screws.....Rich

as long as your rifle and bedding and scope setup are sound

If you haven't done a seating depth trial
that's the first thing I'd do
seating depth can greatly affect grouping and is often the
cure for double grouping

If this group is triangular in shape, I would play with seating depth before I tried different powders,etc.
Dave

For sure try the seating depth. most vld's need to be seated on the lands. Also check and make sure that it is all concentric, vlds are fussy like that. And thats if. You are using a vld. If not, having a gun smith check th action is a start.lightbulb

i will try jamming it and see what i get. i am going to bed the scope base then try again. I am about to give up. i have a tc icon with factory 30 tc ammo that will shoot 1/2 all day. i do not need the frustration this gun is providing me.

lol,,,, i hate guns that wont shoot. it seems that some will shoot no matter what and then ones like this.

Your twist may be a little slow for 162 gr bullets

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

unless you are shooting the Bergers which have a lot less bearing surface.

.010" is too close. Any variance in seating depth will cause an accuracy problem. Move out to .025" with a 140 gr Accubond.

JMHO

i will try jamming it and see what i get. i am going to bed the scope base then try again. I am about to give up. i have a tc icon with factory 30 tc ammo that will shoot 1/2 all day. i do not need the frustration this gun is providing me.

lol,,,, i hate guns that wont shoot. it seems that some will shoot no matter what and then ones like this.

Several people have mentioned the seating depth already and they are correct. When using vld's they most likely need to be very near or even into the lands. My 6.5 Sherman likes the 140 bergers .020" into the lands. Because of the sharp angle of the ogive, they tend not to "stick" in the barrel as easy when extracting a loaded round. One word of caution; when doing this work up your load carefully as it sometimes can raise pressures, especially with larger bores.
Good luck....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.