Accuracy of a hot barrel?

Boss Hoss

I don't need to know why! I've been THERE probably way before you! I haven't lived 70 years by being an IDIOT!!

It is to make sure that there are proper "grill marks" on the steak!

This was a joke no need to get your Depends in a wad! lol!!! Ever think maybe you are just lucky?? :)

I knew why you wanted the flutes Boss!

Recurring theme I see is that you should wait 1-3, 5-10, 20-30 minutes between shots when group shooting. This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Heres the deal, If you are going to wait a few minutes between shots, then why do you have a magazine in your rifle. You would have no idea where your follow up would land anyway if you needed it. There is a load that will shoot consistently in your rifle. That load may not shoot 1/2 inch groups, but if you get 1moa and it is predictable that is better than a 3 inch gun that will put them all in one hole if you wait 15-30 minutes. most guns will shoot wonderful groups if you cool completely between shots. But there are a ton of factory rifles that will go Bang bang Bang, and put them all in one hole, hell I got apost 64 100 winchester that will do it with several loads and bullets. Did it yesterday with the cheapest factory ammo I had in the house. In fact, I have four that get better when they heat up. A Remington 700 stainless .300 win mag, Steyr Stainless SBS Pro Hunter Mountain with a very thin barrel, that old winchester 100 .308, and my Savage LRH. I never wait when shooting groups. I have only once needed a follow up and that was with a single shot 45/70 encore. I killed the deer on the fourth, the scope was broken. But, it is no test of potential if you wait that long, it is not a real world situation,and therefore tell you absolutely nothing, except to maybe make you think you have loaded wonderful ammo that will fail you the first time you need more than one. For a bunch of long range shooters, this thread shocks me. Or is the general consensus that you cant shoot good with factory barrels. I see the quality in custom, but there are a ton of factory rifles from $300.00 up that will place the right loads in 1/2 inch at 100 yards or 3/4 at 200. they don't feel as good, nor look as good, but they shoot very well. Another that I know of will put three consecutive in a half inch is my fathers 25-06 Marlin XL7 with his 70.00 center point scope.

Bottom line is with a hunting rifle especially, you want to know what your follow up shots are going to do, this is the whole point behind shooting groups in the first place. A group with a completely cold barrel only tells you how close your first shot will be to your zero at any given time, also valuable info, but that is better checked on various days and weather situations than 30 minutes apart. that will only tell you what your first shot will do today, what if its 80 and sun shining today, you sight your rifle in and it looks good. You hunt in a week and the temp is 55 and drizzling rain? You now have no idea where your first bullet will land.

Winchester 100 & one hole groups!! THAT...I would have to see!! I won't let one of those **** things on my range....including Rem 742!

Biggest junk that ever came down the pike IMO!!:cool::cool:

Winchester 100 & one hole groups!! THAT...I would have to see!! I won't let one of those **** things on my range....including Rem 742!

Biggest junk that ever came down the pike IMO!!:cool::cool:

Its an anomaly dude. I definitely don't say that lightly. I HATE automatic hunting rifles. But, my grandfather left this to me when he passed, and I was working on some loads for my mother's BAR .308 (trash like most autos) and decided to clean the barrels really well. when I went back out after cleaning them, It put 3 in a hole. I have since tried several loads and all are under an inch, quite a few have been touching. It will not shoot different bullets to the same point of impact though.

Here is four shots, cheap PMP factory ammo , one flew but three in one hole, I cannot prove it of course, but it WAS the first three.

100_1403.jpg

100_1419.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to follow one post with another. But all of that to say, I HATE ALL AUTO hunting rifles. One more time. I looked at the first one hole group and was completely perplexed, then I went out the next morning and shot the same target and it did it again. and was touching the group from the day before. I have since tried several loads, and all shoot inside an inch, five now have had all three touching. The first was 42.8 grains RL15 and a 168 Hornady Match HPBT Moly. I knew that was an accurate .308 load to start with. The BAR on the other hand is doing well to get 2 inches. I would have expected opposite results, but didn't get them. That BAR hates everything and I figured it would be the better shooter of the two. It wasn't.

This thing has me floored But my point in the post was still There are factory rifles that shoot great hot or cold, and most of them will be consistent with some load across the temp spectrum of a 3-5 shot group. However I never would have expected to own an old win. 100 that would shoot like this. And I completely understand if you still think I am full of it.

But, If you ever pass through AR along I40 stop off at exit 193 and go 3/4 mile north and I will let you do it yourself with the gun. I too had to see it to believe it.

Last edited:
couldnt you make a water cooled setup ? using DOM tubing and making end caps with water jackets with a hose runnning to your return tank or bottle . but you would need high rise scope rings . looking at the maxim design gave me the idea but should work even better for a rifle being fired less than a machine gun . any thoughts on this

Maybe so topbrass.

Designs are out there for water cooled barrels, but at the expense of weight and bulk. Not really a good plan for a hunting rifle, and not necessary for target rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.