Accuracy mystery

wilssoon

Yesterday at the range I shot a few very tight, one-inch groups at 50 yards. Moving out to 100 yards, I could not get shots to group at all. WIndage was right--but vertically, shots were hitting the top and bottom of the target six inches apart!!!! Checked scope and it was secure. I did not change position or do anything different other than change the distance.

Setup was: Savage Model 14 American Classic in 7mm-08; shooting Hornady Custom Lite 120-grain bullets.

Any theories welcome...
a.png

At least you know the scope is tight, probably. Check the torque on the action screws and make sure something isn't against the barrel. If all that checks out ok, as gohring3006 mentioned your optic could be toast...

"Tight 1" groups at 50 yards"?
6" vertical dispersment @ 100 yards?

Even for a .22LR, that is not very good. For a 7-08.....terrible.

Barrel contact to stock
Action screws
Base screws
Ring screws
Bad scope
Bad parallax
Bad ammo
If shooting hot, barrel walking
Bad barrel
Loose barrel
Dirty/fouled barrel
Shooter error
Bad rest

....This made me laugh...

I had a custom barrel I ordered specifically with a 1-10" twist, never had cause to question it until bullets came along that needed 1-10" twist. For 30+ years I would have laughed at the suggestion it wasn't what was advertised. It wasn't quite as funny when I took the time to measure it myself.

Assumption is the mother of all foul ups. If you haven't measured it yourself, you're just guessing, and repeating what you've been told.

Note that his issue was vertical axis distribution. I suspect something with the elevation erector in the scope is fubared.

One other really crazy thought. Are you sure its a 7mm-08? I think you can get a 7mm-08 to go bang in a .308. You would see very wide velocity and poor accuracy. Just a really crazy thought.....

Trust me, there was no disrespect intended in my post.
After reading the list above your post, I had a chuckle when I saw 1 more possible problem.

Yeah had a friend that couldn't figure out why he couldn't hit any deer. Turned out that shooting 270 out of a 30-06 isn't very accurate!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.