Accuracy issues - who or what is to blame?

I still have family n friends that use that method. That or an empty milk jug full of water. If they hit the milk jug the first shot, they're done
Yeah hard to understand the people that shoot like that, and I know several. I really prefer 2-3 consecutive sub moa groups to create confidence for me.

I am with the hoard on consistent groupings. I have two rifles that can shoot 1/2 MOA regularly but not every time the error being the operator. On hunting rifles my goal is dead nuts accurate on first shot from cold bore because quite honestly after the first shot if not successful is when the rodeo generally starts. My main hunting rifle 257 WTBY is the rifle I have the most confidence in. If I do my part on the first shot there is never a rodeo. It is a honest 1/2-3/4 MOA with reloads it leans more towards the 3/4 side most times. First shot tho I know it is on, I think shooting groups with the ultra light fluted pencil barrel actually makes it seem less accurate because I know if I shoot three rounds in pretty quick succession the barrel is very warm. I also hate taking 15-20 minutes between shots to verify groups. To impatient for that.

I also think there are a ton of key board snipers. Talk the talk but cant walk to the walk so to say. "My gun will do this or that", but seldom show the proof. Several decades ago I shot competitive silhouette comps at 600 and 1000 yards. I can tell you whole heartedly I am not near the marksman I was in my 20's and 30's but I did shoot 49 out of 50 2X at 1K in my late 20's. Those days are long ago Im happy now to constantly make one shot kills on game this side of 500 yards.

For "me" If I know the rifle and load are capable of 1/4-1/2" accuracy, then "I" need to work on proper form/technique not blame the rifle. In answer to the OPs question, IMHO "most" quality modern rifles/optics are capable of performing better than the driver, so hopefully us a shooters are being honest with ourselves concerning our abilities. My .02
This!!!

Last 4 shots with savage varminter 223, I measured 5/16 center to center, stock rifle, not bedded, always able to keep it under 1/2, this is new load I tried, almost got them all in one small hole but I got a flyer, lol, I probably moved a little. I shoot bullseye at my club and the thing that seems to help most new members shoot better is I tell them that you're not pulling on the trigger, you are pressing the trigger almost like a button and concentrate on pressing it straight back into yourself and most of the time they shoot better. IMG_20220108_001241214.jpg

I read somewhere that flinching from muzzle brakes is just as common as recoil. Two of my rifles have brakes and I won't pull the trigger unless I have hearing protection in. I have a buddy that I suspect suffers from muzzle brake flinch because he sucks at shooting lol. I don't know if that is a real thing tho.
It is a real thing. People will develop a flinch caused from loud blasts from muzzle brakes just as easy as a hard recoiling magnum. If someone hasn't been around loud brakes

It is a real thing. People will develop a flinch caused from loud blasts from muzzle brakes just as easy as a hard recoiling magnum. If someone hasn't been around loud brakes
Due to hearing damage from shooting and the Army I have to use plugs and/ or muffs around any loud noises. So blasts from muzzles brakes is a non issue for me.

Few years ago I started to test my cold bore personal theory for hunting. I would take what ever rifle that I thought was ready to go and head to range. Place target at distance, set up with cross sticks, bipod etc and fire one round. That's it. One round commitment. This us how I bow hunt as well. Walk out to backyard, one arrow with broadhead, one shot at 3D.

I will not take another shot that day. The shot has to be lived with so you can "think" about the result.

Once I started doing that, I truly believe my level of focus increased. It was hard not to fire another round or arrow "just to see" but what was interesting was how you reacted when the "one shot" was not spot one. Talk about self "correction"! What did I do wrong? You think thru your shot and I think it helped me a lot.

Few years ago I started to test my cold bore personal theory for hunting. I would take what ever rifle that I thought was ready to go and head to range. Place target at distance, set up with cross sticks, bipod etc and fire one round. That's it. One round commitment. This us how I bow hunt as well. Walk out to backyard, one arrow with broadhead, one shot at 3D.

I will not take another shot that day. The shot has to be lived with so you can "think" about the result.

Once I started doing that, I truly believe my level of focus increased. It was hard not to fire another round or arrow "just to see" but what was interesting was how you reacted when the "one shot" was not spot one. Talk about self "correction"! What did I do wrong? You think thru your shot and I think it helped me a lot.
Sounds a lot like a teaching method that I read about. White Feather of Vietnam. If I can find the article I will post a link.

Last edited: