accuracy expectation from chrome moly?

steelshooter

I have just had a Sako rebarreled to 6mm-223. I've tried 3 different projectiles and 4 different powders so far and they all give 1.5 to 2 inch groups. The smith wasn't concerned and said that chrome moly barrels can take up to 200 rounds to wear in.
That doesn't sound right to me, what do you think?
In my experience, if they dont shoot reasonably well with everthing then it wont shoot exceptionally well with anything.
The barrel is a Shilen 1-10 twist, 20 inch long medium varmint.

Little difference between CM and stainless. Your smith may be correct. You might try David Tubbs Final Finish to expedite break in. Be sure you are cleaning it correctly. Some barrels never shoot; others do so right from the get=go. Gotta work with it before you give up.

Steelshooter

Been thinking about the 6mm/223, but not sure which way to go. AR 15 or bolt gun.Theres a Sako Receiver on Gun Broker. Decisions, decisions. Who did your rebarrel.

I think the 6mm223 is a great little cartridge and is everything the 223 wants to be.
A bolt action is the only real option Down Under,as the Aussie government has made it near impossible to own semi autos.
Jim Kent is my smith, a Canadian would you believe, and has always done good work for me previously.

Shilens CM are not hand lapped unless you order it as such (there is an added fee, $40 I think). My load for the 6 x 45mm (6mm/.223) consisits of Win. 748, a Win. Small Rifle primer, 80g. Sierra 'Blitz' (others work well, too), in a Win. , necked-up, case. Wonder off to any other primer and groups become "patterns" (like a shotgun pattern).

Shilens CM are not hand lapped unless you order it as such (there is an added fee, $40 I think). My load for the 6 x 45mm (6mm/.223) consisits of Win. 748, a Win. Small Rifle primer, 80g. Sierra 'Blitz' (others work well, too), in a Win. , necked-up, case. Wonder off to any other primer and groups become "patterns" (like a shotgun pattern).

Primers are the one variable I haven't tried. But I will now. Fed 205m is what I've been using.
Thanks.

Your smith is blowing smoke at you because he has no good reason why it doesnt shoot better!!

Find a good middle of the road load...not the slowest and not the max either and lad it and STAY with it while you work on seating depth. You'll find the right distance off the lands to e and then work on the powder.

It'll get there OK.

Tubbs final finish on a brand new barrel? Sound advise there.....might as well throw some metal shavings in it while youre at it.

I've used Tubb FF on new chrome molly and stainless barrels with great success. Even used it on a shot out Lilja and gained a few more accurate shots.

I'd try different primers first though.

There should be no accuracy expectation difference between CM and SS.

I have just had a Sako rebarreled to 6mm-223. I've tried 3 different projectiles and 4 different powders so far and they all give 1.5 to 2 inch groups. The smith wasn't concerned and said that chrome moly barrels can take up to 200 rounds to wear in.
That doesn't sound right to me, what do you think?
In my experience, if they dont shoot reasonably well with everthing then it wont shoot exceptionally well with anything.
The barrel is a Shilen 1-10 twist, 20 inch long medium varmint.
Hey,mate!I am from Perth WA and I have being looking for a aftermarket barrel for my Savage Axis - do you have some in hand for .223?

Your smith is blowing smoke at you because he has no good reason why it doesnt shoot better!!

Find a good middle of the road load...not the slowest and not the max either and lad it and STAY with it while you work on seating depth. You'll find the right distance off the lands to e and then work on the powder.

It'll get there OK.

If the smith is blowing smoke because it won't shoot, why bother with more load developement?

I agree with Gene, Royinidaho, & Sully2.
Gunsmiths don't make barrels shoot, WE do.

Break it in with Tubb's FF, clean it well, and develop a load for it.
What bullets are you trying and have you actually verified the barrel twist?

That barrel has had a few hundred rounds down it since this thread started and I think I've tried just about every combination available at some point. Unfortunately it's just not that good a barrel. It's ok for hunting, but is limited to that.
Tubbs Final Finish is not available here in Australia.

One day when I can justify it, I may try another barrel.
Thanks for your responses.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.