Accubonds VS VLD's

Nikolakangrga

Many here suggested I go with the 210gr VLD in my .300 WM (if I go with the VLD) because of the type of bullet it is. What If I decide to go with the Nosler Accubonds? Should I stick with my original plan and stick with the 180's? or would I truly benifit pushing a 200+ gr accubond? The game I will be chasing is black bear, Hogs, and deer. My range is 100-300 yards with the occasional long range poke out to 600-700 yards.

Thanks again for all the help-
Nick

You do not need VLD's for shots to 300 yards. The VLD design is intended to minimize turbulence beyond that range. I use Accubonds in my 30 cal rifles. They are accurate and open perfectly on deer at all distances. Never shot a bear or hog with them.

Like was said before the VLD design was made for shooting at distance (300 plus yards). If you want a all purpose bullet I would push the 200 grain accubonds. It is what I ran in my 300 weatherby. My thoughts on that were that the game will not know the difference between the 180 and 200 grain bullets but I will gain a better BC with the 200 grain.

I understand that the 200gr Accubonds has a higher BC then the 180gr Accubond, but will it make that big of a difference at 700-750 yards? If I go with the 180's I may be able to stretch my hunting distance to 700 yards but if I go with the 200gr's I will be able to hunt out to 600yds-625yds or so. At the range, will the 200's higher bc make a big enough difference which would make me choose the 200's and lose that extra 100 yards of shooting opportunity on game or stick with the 180's?

Dude you need to check you ballistics chart again. You can push those 200 grain accubonds between 2900-3000 fps. With this MV you can get out to a mile plus. Never stretched my weatherby beyond a mile but running the ballistics chart with my data it showed me dropping subsonic around the 1900 yard mark.

Anyway I pick my bullets based on BC and terminal performance. Like I said before game will not know the difference between 180 grains and 200 grains but when shooting at distance you will know the difference in BC.

My problem is I do not reload. But According to Nosler's Ballistic Chart. Their Custom ammo loaded up with 200gr accubonds have a muzzle velocity of 2800fps. At 500 yrds it states it will be pushing 2074 fps. Minimum velocity for expansion is 1800FPS.... that is where I got my info. Am I misunderstanding something?

Yes and no. First off you need to chrony that ammo with your rifle. Each rifle is unique, thus don't rely on published MV. Next off The accubonds are effective below the published 1800 fps. Those numbers are based off test that are not always accurate for field conditions. Expansion will occur below that velocity especially if you hit bone (shoulder blade, spine, etc...).

Even at only 2800 fps you can get a thousand yards out of an accubond. On a side note if you really want to get the most out of your ammo and rifle you NEED to handload. Quality handloads can really make a rifle.

I would go with the VLD for sure. The only reason is that I have experienced, witnessed, and been told by a reliable source of three instances where the tip broke off of an Accubond. One a .338 225 grain(happened to me), one a .308 180 grain(saw it happen to a friend), one a 7mm 140 grain(heard about it happening to a friend). All three snapped off flush with the jacket tip while feeding. I have shot thousands of NBT's and have not seen this even once. Curious....

I have a ton of 140 grain 7mm NAB's for the wifes gun and have yet to have a problem with them. They shoot so good that I will use them up, then switch.

I suppose if you shoot the NAB's single shot there would likely be no problem.

My problem is I do not reload. But According to Nosler's Ballistic Chart. Their Custom ammo loaded up with 200gr accubonds have a muzzle velocity of 2800fps. At 500 yrds it states it will be pushing 2074 fps. Minimum velocity for expansion is 1800FPS.... that is where I got my info. Am I misunderstanding something?

You are making a good point in regard to velocity vs expansion. In your original post, you stated that you wouldn't be shooting farther than 600 yds. If this is the case, I would use the accubond over the berger mostly because you stated that the majority of your shots will be 100-300 yds. If the majority of your shots were in the 400+ yard range, then I would choose the berger. Also, if you are using the accubonds at longer ranges (lower velocity) expansion is definitely an issue. For this reason, and at the ranges you are talking about, (600 yds.) the 180 accubond will shoot "a little" flatter and expand better because of more terminal velocity.......Rich

Yes, the majority of my shots are within 200-300 yards max. I would also rarely have an opportunity to make that 600 yard shot either. But If I went with the 180's my effective expansion range would be around 700 yards, versus 600 yards with the 200's. That was my only point. Because the 200's have much higher BC's then the 180's. So I was curious if at 600-650 yards the BC's of the 200 would make a visible difference accuracy wise.

Yes, the majority of my shots are within 200-300 yards max. I would also rarely have an opportunity to make that 600 yard shot either. But If I went with the 180's my effective expansion range would be around 700 yards, versus 600 yards with the 200's. That was my only point. Because the 200's have much higher BC's then the 180's. So I was curious if at 600-650 yards the BC's of the 200 would make a visible difference accuracy wise.

I think you are on the right track! B.C. in and of itself does not equate to better accuracy. It gives you an advantage, especially at extreme ranges because of less drop and wind drift......Rich

But If I went with the 180's my effective expansion range would be around 700 yards, versus 600 yards with the 200's.

At 600 yards the 180's and 200's are within a couple of FPS of each other(using Nosler published velocity of 2950 and 2800 respectively) past 600 the 200's are moving faster than the 180's opening the gap the further you go.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.