Accubonds distance to lands, Rule of thumb

IF you have the mag OAL, seat them into the lands about .020, If not, seat them as far out as the mag will allow and then work backwards.

That way you only have one way to go. No point seating in the middle and then trying to figure to go up or down.

Do not make little .005 jumps. test at .020-.040 intervals to find a spot and then fine tune.

BH

I thought .020-.040" from the lands was a good rule of thumb printed in several reloading manuals. I wouldn't really recommend jamming a hunting bullet into the lands. That is unless you like digging powder out of your magazine.

IF you have the mag OAL, seat them into the lands about .020, If not, seat them as far out as the mag will allow and then work backwards.

That way you only have one way to go. No point seating in the middle and then trying to figure to go up or down.

Do not make little .005 jumps. test at .020-.040 intervals to find a spot and then fine tune.

BH

That has got to be the worst piece of advice I have ever read, for obvious reasons to anybody very experienced. All I can say is WOW!

I'd start at magazine length and go from there. Oddly enough the best load in my .308 Broughton using the 165 Accubond is at .125" off the rifling, which is magazine length. Loading the bullet closer, @ the rifling, or into the rifling resulted in larger groups.

In a hunting rifle I'd much prefer ammo that fits & feeds from the magazine. In my .308 I was lucky that this length also produced excellent accuracy.

To each their own. I'd never tell someone to start off by seating a bullet .020 into the lands in a hunting gun.

You're right... neither would I... I missed the "into" part of into the lands.

But to say it's the worst piece of advise...... well, I think that's a little strong.

The rest of the advice is good IMHO

I'd start at magazine length and go from there. Oddly enough the best load in my .308 Broughton using the 165 Accubond is at .125" off the rifling, which is magazine length. Loading the bullet closer, @ the rifling, or into the rifling resulted in larger groups.

In a hunting rifle I'd much prefer ammo that fits & feeds from the magazine. In my .308 I was lucky that this length also produced excellent accuracy.

Varmint Hunter, I have a Rem 700 5R Milspec and to keep the 175 SMK's in the mag I have to seat .135 off the lands. This is max SAAMI. The gun shoots unbelievable. I never thought it would do as good as it does, go figure.

To each their own. I'd never tell someone to start off by seating a bullet .020 into the lands in a hunting gun.

I agree....

Jamming any hunting bullet into the lands is asking for trouble.

What if the bullet stays in the lands and case comes out....voila...you now have a jammed bullet and action full of powder?

Hunting rifles need to be MOA accuracy only and consistent cold barrel POI.

Ragged one-hole group type accuracy is not needed.

I seat my Accubonds about .020 off the lands and have not trouble getting MOA out of a stock Ruger#1. In accurized bolt gun sub MOA should be easily achievable without seating a bullet into the lands???

IF not I am picking a different powder and/or bullet....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.