accubonds: 130's in 270

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I am reloading for a Model 700 in 270. A friend traded into this rifle which is pristine and made in May of 1983. The gunsmith who pillar bedded the weapon told me he was virtually certain the rifle had never been fired so I have been breaking it in like its a Bartlein or Krieger barrel. The barrel itself is only 22 inches long. I know I can fill this case with 4831 and it will work but I want to gain the efficiency of having the powder burn IN the barrel and not out by the muzzle. So I am going to be using powder in the ranges from IMR 4350 to Varget for more complete combustion and will drag out the chronograph to find out which works best in this rifle.

I have tried Corelokts and they are a minute of angle and have had good luck previously with Accubonds in 2 different calibers. They are long bullets but this is a long action, so seating should not be a major problem. Is there anybody out there who has used 130 Accubonds in a 270? What worked best for you?

Thanks,

WW

I bet if you load both 4350 and 4831, the 4831 will produce more velocity.
This notion of a short barrel means a fast powder is a misconception. Most powder loads with the correct burn rate, regardless of barrel length are consumed within the first 4" of barrel after the chamber ends.
I laid out white sheets from a Kingsize bed in front of my test bench and fired every single powder I had over the sheet, the only unburned powder kernels I found were from loads in my 338 Edge using H50BMG at a not so complete burn, which I knew was happening from the Pressure Trace data.
The only other unburned powder that I could see was from some black powder loads in my 44-40 and my 1911 45 ACP.
All normal rifle loads had zero unburned powder collecting on the sheet.
I have come across a few instances where a load density just wasn't suitable and left unburned powder in the barrel. Most notable were 300g HP in my 24" barreled 45-70 and 30" 45-120 with paper patched 540g pills using H4895. Absolutely terrible performance!

Cheers.

Varget will work the best with your lighter bullets 90 Sierra &Speers ,I've never loaded any 130 accubonds but IMR 4350 will work Very well for you ,I've loaded many 270 Winchester rounds ,IMR 4831 is also great ,cross reference as many reloading manuals as you can , I've not used H 4350 ,Or H4831 ,in my 270 Winchester reloads so I'll leave that for others to comment on ,happy reloading,Cheers !.

I bet if you load both 4350 and 4831, the 4831 will produce more velocity.
This notion of a short barrel means a fast powder is a misconception. Most powder loads with the correct burn rate, regardless of barrel length are consumed within the first 4" of barrel after the chamber ends.
I laid out white sheets from a Kingsize bed in front of my test bench and fired every single powder I had over the sheet, the only unburned powder kernels I found were from loads in my 338 Edge using H50BMG at a not so complete burn, which I knew was happening from the Pressure Trace data.
The only other unburned powder that I could see was from some black powder loads in my 44-40 and my 1911 45 ACP.
All normal rifle loads had zero unburned powder collecting on the sheet.
I have come across a few instances where a load density just wasn't suitable and left unburned powder in the barrel. Most notable were 300g HP in my 24" barreled 45-70 and 30" 45-120 with paper patched 540g pills using H4895. Absolutely terrible performance!

Cheers.
^^^This!^^^ I have loaded my 6.5x55 Swede with an 18" barrel and .270 AI with a 30" barrel with H4831 SC without any issues.

130 Accubonds and Ballistic Tips are dimensionally equivalent.

I've shot a lot of 130 ballistic tips hand loads out of a 22" barrel M70 FWT. 53-55 gr H4350 and 58-60 gr H4831SC are you tickets. You might even be able to work up H4831SC to 62 gr if you don't see pressure signs.

You should find an accuracy node 3000-3100 fps, and see pressure somewhere 3120-3200 fps.

Even in a 20" barrel the H4350 burns completely in the barrel.

With that being said, the 270 is an incinerator for a lot of powders. Even IMR-4064 will work with 130s - so I'm sure VARGET will work fine also - just a little slower (50-100 fps).

Shhhh! RL-16 is another great powder for 130 gr AB!
Alliant-Powder-Reloader-16.jpg

Two of my Rifles, with 24 inch BBls chambered .270 win , they both seem to really like H 4831SC. However , In my friends Featherweight Classic Model 70 with a 22 inch Bbl., IMR 4350 seem to get better groups. I just prefer the slightly faster burn rate, in the slightly shorter barrel. It just seemed sensible to start load development with that powder. Plus, it was so readily available. I am using only 130 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips, in matched Win cases, with Win LR Primers. Muzz. velocity for all three rifles is 3000 to 3040 fps. These rifles are used for Whitetail deer on his farm. All three have given years of excellent results. We both have had several one shot kills over the years. Stay off the shoulder with that bullet !!!!

Two of my Rifles, with 24 inch BBls chambered .270 win , they both seem to really like H 4831SC. However , In my friends Featherweight Classic Model 70 with a 22 inch Bbl., IMR 4350 seem to get better groups. I just prefer the slightly faster burn rate, in the slightly shorter barrel. It just seemed sensible to start load development with that powder. Plus, it was so readily available. I am using only 130 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips, in matched Win cases, with Win LR Primers. Muzz. velocity for all three rifles is 3000 to 3040 fps. These rifles are used for Whitetail deer on his farm. All three have given years of excellent results. We both have had several one shot kills over the years. Stay off the shoulder with that bullet !!!!
Stay off the shoulder? Am unfamiliar with the expression. Clarify, please? Thank you.