Accubond or Swift Scirocco?

william101

Im shooting a 300 WSM in my Tikka t3 light stainless and am torn between the two choices mentioned above,Im leaning twards the Swift Scirocco only because, 1. it was the first company to start the polymer tip craze 2. The 180 grain in the scirocco has a BC of .520 as opposed to the accubonds 507 I believe. anyways I think the swift bullet is longer and abit sleeker also,anyways some opinions if any of you gentlemen have any ,would be much apreciated.Thanks

I have looked at both bullets quite a bit and they are both serious machines. I think the scirrocco uses a VLD nose profile and ,I may be catching hell for this, I think the scirrocco is also a little tougher bullet.

I planned on using the scirroco on my moose hunt but of course the only thing I got a shot at was mosquitos.

I shot a 150gr scirocco from my 300 RUm into a 5" diameter cedar tree. The bullet passed straight through and nailed a sandstone wall behind the tree. I found the bullet on the ground by the rock wall and it had expanded to almost twice the original size and still held together. Now I know it lost some of its core because it was substantially lighter but still it was pretty impressive.

I am sure either one would do you great

Good Luck
Steve

Thanks guys so far for the help,let me possibly recorrect myself, I dont know if swift was the first with the polymere tip,but defenitly know that they are the ones who pioneered the bonded bullet to polymere.Anyways I know that im just spliting hairs here and like the above mentioned,they both would suit me fine,But when I saw that the scirocco boasted one of the longest 180 grn hunting bullets in the industry and appears to be a bit heavier constructed, I just figured that along with the higher BC as well should make a really outstanding long range bullet.Thanks so far.Keep em coming if you can.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would use the accubond if it shoots good. it is not as tough and would open up easier at extended ranges better. the swift is designed to retain 90+% weight where as the accubond 75-80%.

jm2c

[ QUOTE ]
Probably not what you wanted to hear but I'd say shoot both and take the one that shoots the smallest group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I'd say shoot both and take the one that shoots the smallest group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

me three. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just be wary of up close (high impact velocity) performance...it has been spotty to say the least. Lots of controversy about terminal performance on deer and elk. I've used them on Deer and Antelope, complete pass through on the antelope, raking shot, right rear flank to left front shoulder, GOOD terminal performance. No pass through on 2 yr old Mule Deer buck, neck shot---penetrated to offside hide, ~10"-12" of muscle and bone-completely pancaked-not great terminal performance. Cartridge was 300RUM, 180gr Swift Scirrocos Factory load. Other people I have spoken with that have had first hand failures include 2 elk, (one cow, one bull)--On the cow, the bullet pancaked so bad that it barely made it to the offside lung on a broadside shot--300 RUM. Bull was with a 7mm, long(ish) shot down a canyon, pancaked against the spine, bull was still alive but paralyzed when they got up to him. I will be using the TSX for this season if I can just get the dang things to shoot. Just FYI for you---would hate for you to have a good hunt go bad.

#1 what are you hunting for?
#2 why spend the extra $ for the scirrocco when you can find others that do it as good or better....

Ya know I was talking to a good friend this morning....
we had a discussion about bullets...
asside from high B.C. concerns ( for obvious reasons )in LR hunting.

do you realize how many animals were taken with just lead bullets...? even dangerous game...? now we are so caught up in the "answer to the question" we forget how to be accurate...

my real good friend has a way of being so laid back that his perception of reality is a pleasant suprize and more times than not RIGHT!!!

Depending on what you plan on hunting, I'm having great luck with the 168 gr TSX Barnes in the 300 WSM. Accuracy is 1/2 inch and terminal performance is great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I´D GO WITH WHATEVER SHOOTS BETTER IN YOUR RIFLE.

HAVING SAID THAT, IT SEEMS ( JUST SEEMS TO ME FROM THE PICTURES AND RECOVERED BULLETS I HAVE SEEN , WHICH ARE NOT ENOUGH TO STABLISH A GENERAL RULE)THAT THE SCIROCCO TENDS TO END UP WITH A BIGGER DIAMETER THAN THE ACCUBOND, IN WHICH THE JACKET SEEMS TO TEND TO PEEL BACKWARDS MORE THAN IN THE SCIROCCO( SEE GOODGROUPERS RECOVERED ACCUBOND FROM ELK).

IN MY RIFLE, THE ACCUBOND SHOOTS BETTER.

[ QUOTE ]

do you realize how many animals were taken with just lead bullets...? even dangerous game...? now we are so caught up in the "answer to the question" we forget how to be accurate...

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldnt have said it better. I believe that the bullet companies promoted it so well that the hunting industry bought it and now its almost gospal that you cant kill anything without a "premium bonded bullet". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have done a lot of shooting and hunting tests with bullets, including the "new" bonded bullets. Bottom line is that the bondeds will outperform non-bonded in a few situations, are not needed for most situations. They are great at close range and in high performance cartridges which can create high impact velocities. They are un-needed for deer-sized game, at the distances most deer are shot - under two hundred yards. The standard bullets open up much quicker, deliver energy faster and that is what we need on smaller critters like deer. Unless the shot is very close where impact velocity is max, then they will hold together where the standard bullet may fragment or shed core and jacket.

I prefer to classify bullets by % retained weight after they have been recovered from game or from my clay tests. The highest retention bullets at 90%-95%+ are the Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Barnes X family and WInchester Fail Safe. There are some others in this category from Norma and Lapua and probably the North Fork, have not shot them yet. Next are the 80% bullets, which include the Interbond, CoreLokt Ultra and Scirocco. Next are the 65%+ bullets which include the Nosler Accubond and Partition, Grand Slam, Federal Fussion and occasionally standard bullets if they do not hit big bone or have high impact velocity. Then the +-50% which are the latter bullets from Hornady, Speer, Win., Rem, Fed, etc.etc. I have some +-50% bullets recovered that went 75%, things vary a lot when you play with bullet retained weight.

Where do Matchkings, Competition Supremes and A-MAX fit in - all over the map. I have some close-range fragmentations and some perfect mushrooms from longer shots. We have killed a bunch of deer with match bullets, no reason not to keep doing that.

I would test Interbond, Scirocco and Accubond if you really want to shoot a plastic-tipped, boat-tailed bonded bullet. Interbond might surprise you and they are cheaper and in 100 count boxes. As suggested, let your rifle make the decision.

I shot the accuracy and expansion tests on the original Sciroccos for Lee Reed, shot the earliest production bullets from Nosler and Hornady for one of the very first articles published on bondeds (NRA Am. Hunter), so have some experience with bonded bullets.

ditto! i just smacked a whitetail recently in the noggin' to see what a 100gr SMK in .25-06 did on BONE. oh yeah i got the deer,with a softball size exit hole,you get the picture.it worked. but ian and i replied together.his version is better.and i would go for the bonded bullet if i were going for dangerous game.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.