Accubond LR rant!

Seems like the LRAB is panning out to be a flash in the pan. When you start selling to long range guys, it better perform. The other thing is that they're still hard to find so why would you go to all the trouble of developing a load for a bullet that your just as likely not going to be able to buy? Nosler has made some great products but it looks like their heart just isn't in this one.

+1. I'm not sure how well versed they are(yet?) in the long range game. I was somewhat suspicious when the initial load/promotional thrust for the Nosler 260 was positioned with a 123gr bullet. They clearly positioned the rifle for mid range flat trajectory appealing the crowd more typical of their more traditional market base as opposed to long range ballistic performance. Had they launched the rifle with a heavier barrel option and a well developed and consistent 140 LRAB with solid ballistic performance they would have had a more significant response from the long range crowd. Hope they come up to speed. IMO

This is great news NOT! I just had a rifle built and the smith did load development using the ablr 30 210 . Smith is a Berger fan but I am not. I only have one box of 210 so if they shoot but future boxes don't then I'll be asking for help on the Berg..... Just my luck, story of my life

Ran some number trying to get the 6.5mm 142's worked out and would anyone like to guess the actual bc??? Proclaimed .719 by Nosler, .560 before my chart worked with actual drops out to 1100yds. That's ********!!!

Well, after weeks of searching forums, endless load testing, and a good percentage of my barrel life gone, I have come to the conclusion that the last two lots of 7mm 150gr ABLR's were flawed from the factory. Back story- I was gifted a Cooper m52 in 7STW for Xmas by my lovely wife. It's my 3rd rifle in that chambering, so I decided to try something different than my standard SMK loads. After reading about Accubond LR's high BC, I decided to give them a whirl. After little load testing, I came up with a load that was shooting .2's and .3's consistently @ 3315 fps. Fast forward through 100+ bullets and about 50 deer and hogs, and I notice several POI variations from my aim point on animals. After checking at the range, I realize something is haywire. I bought a second lot of bullets, and I am struggling to keep 5 shots on paper at 300 yds. I have a very strict break-in and cleaning regiment, so I know that's not the issue. I change optics, I rebed, I whiddle out areas of concern in the stock. All to no avail. So I try some 130SMK's I have loaded for one of my other rifles, and quickly shoot a 1/2MOA group at 300. I try some 168SMK's and shoot a .290" OUTSIDE group at 200. So I contact Mike Seay of Nosler with my issue, and he basically says "that's weird". I noted variations in 10 randomly selected bullets of 0.5 grains weight and 0.050" in bearing surface. He seemed to think that was "within specs" and offered no help. I have tried H4831SC, H1000, Retumbo, and Norma MRP, in 1/2 grain increments up and down, and the best it will do is 3.5" at 300. I have read several other threads about people not being able to get the desired accuracy, or any accuracy, out of these bullets. I am thinking it depends on which box you get. Needless to say, I am done with Nosler!

The fact that there quality went away on some of there bullets is sad. I have used and very much like there bullets and have been especially pleased with there Accubonds.

I have not tried any long range Accubonds so I don't have an opinion, But when customers call and complain, they should at least check in to the issue and make the product good to him if there is defiantly something wrong.

It appears that In todays climate, quality looses out to production. The company's that have taken this route don't last long and there competition takes the opportunity to boost there sales.

I hope that Nosler takes note of your problem and fixes it. If not they will lose a very old and strong group of followers and purchasers.

I have already started checking all new components for inconsistencies and eliminating any more purchases of some. ( I hope that Nosler does not make this list ) with todays technology, quality "SHOULD" get better not worse.

PS: My List is growing.

Sorry for your troubles

J E CUSTOM

I agree, Nosler had its hay day with the Partition bullet. And maybe they should of tried to improve on the Partition bullet a little more (L.R. Partition) because the last box of Partitions I bought were about worthless for accuracy, 125gr. 6.5 Nos. Part.. Sierra and Hornady one hole groups at 100 yards!!! and half the price.

I had a 280AI that originally shot the 150gr ABLRs into .75moa. I found they liked a big jump .05 to .1". New box of bullet and the groups turned to patterns. I did some ogive to base comparisons and found some large discrepancies. 2/3s of the box were perfect but I had the other 1/3 vary from .012 to.03" out of spec. I pulled the remainder and found the same. I'll compare others before I load. I have a long throated 28Nosler coming back from the smith in a couple weeks. I'll run the 175ABLRs if they're consistent; if not, then the 180 Bergers or even the elusive 195s since I have a 1 in 8 twist.

Remmy 7 saum, factory tube shortened to 22 and recrowned.

168 grn LRAB with 65 grns of H1000 and BR2 = 1/2 MOA

168 grn LRAB with 57 grn of H4831sc and BR2 = 1/2 MOA

168 grn LRAB with 54 grn H4350 and BR2 = 1/4 MOA

COL 2.85 on all and around 2750 fps. I must have a good box, I sure as hellzs hope the other 6 boxes I bought run as good..

I have a .270 win in a browning a-bolt. This rifle shoots .3 inch groups@ 100 yards with sierra Gameking's and Matchking's. I tried ABLR 150 grain and i can not get a better group the 1.2 inches @100. Needless to say I also switched to Berger and before I even loaded the 130gr classic hunter I was more impressed then with the ABLR.

I have been trying these in my 6.5x284. The 142's. I been slightly frustrated and was thinking it might be me. I been only shooting 3 shot groups with them. the first couple of load developments I had some desent groups at 200 yards. Right at about .6moa. My next test I went out and will usually get 2 that shoot side by side and one thrown low or high but within line this was with an increased powder charge. So I loaded up 5 to test possibally tomorrow morning. Then just got to thinking about all my targets and decided to weigh some of the bullets and guess what. I'm getting 1 out of about every 5 bullets 1/2 grain heavy or lighter. I get some that are .2 grains lighter. The weight difference alone is sad to see. I have bought 1 more box before while I was in the middle of my testing. It looks like these bullets may just turn out to be my practice rounds and I will save the bergers for hunting. Seem the bullets are not going to pan out for any real long range stuff.

150's are garbage, period. Wont shoot in any of my guns. .308 cal 190GRN on the other hand shoot great in my Weatherby, you hit on the issue though. Inconsistency.....

Tried the .277 in 150 grain again in my .270 and still no luck. The tightest group I had today was 2 inches. I tried changing seating depth and no luck. I loaded up some sierra 135 match kings and shot 10 rounds in .7 inch group.

I shoot the 175 ABLR out of my bone stock Remy 700 LR in 7 mag and love the groups it makes at 200 yards. 3/4 inch group at 200 yds. Using 61 grains of RL 22. My father inlaw is shooting the 210 ABLR out of his 300 RUM and is getting 3/4 groups at 300 yds. ( all 5 shot groups)..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.