Accubond LR Comparison and G7 BC Test

Having been to Africa twice in the 80's and 90's, the PH's would generally set up shots/stalks to have shots under 150 yards. The exception being Cape Buffalo, Lion, and other dangerous game which were a lot closer. My Kudu was my longest shot which I had to do some convincing to take at 300 yards. All the antelope species I shot were taken with a 375 H&H with 270 Win Power Points and dropped like lighting hit them, including the 300 yard Kudu. The only full penetration shot was an impala at 150 yards. Perfect mushrooms under the far side hide on everything else. Using a 375, it was hard to tell if the game was a lot tougher to kill than our equivalent sized animals here in NA.

Bullet manufacturers make bullets which have to cover a variety of conditions and/or shooters. Because of this, IMO, most bullets are overkill, on the tough side, for what most of us do on this forum. That is why there is no substitute for experienced users who actually test and kill things. I have been hunting for over 50 years, and as far as I can remember, I have never lost one head of game to OVER expansion! I have lost a couple to under or no expansion. I'm not suggesting that we blow hand grenade looking holes in everyhting, but with the close shots, we can pick our shots a lot better. When using thin skinned bullets, it removes a lot of the WORRY factor for more distant shots. To me, this is ethics, but you can choose your own based on your own conscience. Just don't be too fast in believing everyhthing you hear and take into consideration the game being shot and the impact velocity of the bullet. Over and over I see people referring to a certain bullet being great or poor with no regard to the rifle or distance. i.e. a 300 RUM WILL NOT PERFORM THE SAME AS A .308 WITH THE SAME BULLET!.(Unless of course you are comparing point blank to 500 yards which is exactly why most of us shoot Bergers, A-max, or the like)......Rich

My last post on this topic.

In the last 30 yrs I've hunted the world, we'll leave it at that.

In April the guys and I will be headed for our next hunting trip to the African Continent.

I have never taken a single shot there less than 330yds (375H&H on a Warthog using a 260gr. Accubond) and my longest was 780yds which was an unsuccessful shot on a Baboon swinging between trees in the high country. (Though a Cape is on the wishlist this trip the Lott is staying in the closet)

What is the 500yd Impact velocity of a 300WM pushing a 208gr A-MAX at 2800fps at 4000ft of elevation? The species was Blesbok, similar in size and build to a whitetail, shot hit about 3" farther back from the shoulder than I'd liked to see.
Simply awful scene that seemed to repeat itself at everyone's expense. (BTW-- the VLD Hunting did not fare much better in similar situations)

Even an upper heart shot using the 200gr Accubond (which mushroomed text-book) did not stop my second Kudu from Running 300yds UP-Hill! Now those are some tough dudes!

I am always a student.

I cannot wait to test the Accubond LR's (also wish they'd just make them in Bigger bores!)

My last post on this topic.

In the last 30 yrs I've hunted the world, we'll leave it at that.

In April the guys and I will be headed for our next hunting trip to the African Continent.

I have never taken a single shot there less than 330yds (375H&H on a Warthog using a 260gr. Accubond) and my longest was 780yds which was an unsuccessful shot on a Baboon swinging between trees in the high country. (Though a Cape is on the wishlist this trip the Lott is staying in the closet)

What is the 500yd Impact velocity of a 300WM pushing a 208gr A-MAX at 2800fps at 4000ft of elevation? The species was Blesbok, similar in size and build to a whitetail, shot hit about 3" farther back from the shoulder than I'd liked to see.

Even an upper heart shot using the 200gr Accubond (which mushroomed text-book) did not stop my second Kudu from Running 300yds UP-Hill! Now those are some tough dudes!

I am always a student.

I cannot wait to test the Accubond LR's (also wish they'd just make them in Bigger bores!)

Could you please describe the "awful scene" to us ......Rich

Re: Accubond LR 210 Availability?

MMRESS,
Thanks for documenting and sharing your test results on this new Nosler offering. Very nice work!

Does anyone have any insight as to when Nosler will produce another batch of their .308 210gr LRABs?

Re: Accubond LR 210 Availability?

MMRESS,
Thanks for documenting and sharing your test results on this new Nosler offering. Very nice work!

Does anyone have any insight as to when Nosler will produce another batch of their .308 210gr LRABs?

They are scheduled for the next production run this June.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.