Accubond long range

JONFIVE

I was thinking of loading up some 190 gr accubond LR FOR MY 300 WM that I got from a friend who bought them and never used them. My question is do they like to be close or are they better with a good jump

Thanks

They like to be close in my 300 WinMag, but be careful they don't expand close range, that's the only drawback they shoot great.

In my 300's the 210gr ABLR like .020-.050" depending on throat length.
Shot real good at .010" in one rifle, but the following weekend I couldn't repeat the feat.
Went back to .030" and they grouped real well again, just not as tight as that one day.

Cheers.

I am trying to think of a bullet design that would not open at fast velocity but would open at slower velocities. Usually it's the other way around. Too much velocity equals too much expansion.

Shoot'em in 142 6.5 and 168 284...
My experience is the front is soft materials and rear harder materials so the body of the bullet stays intact..
If thought out like front of center weight carrying the bullet for best bc..
The rear or body may be a more heavily mixed materials and the front being softer less mixed materials..which allows it to be softer..
They do expand...but even from my 26Noslervat 30 yards last year the 142lrab traveled from balls to inside skin of off side from shoulder...perfect bullet form..from imperfect entry... 1126191555.jpg

I was thinking of loading up some 190 gr accubond LR FOR MY 300 WM that I got from a friend who bought them and never used them. My question is do they like to be close or are they better with a good jump

Thanks
Every rifle is different. I start load development with seating depth tests at midrange powder charge. You could be surprised by a ragged hole at 0.075" jump. Or longer. Many bullets group good < 0.020" jump. Many group better with much longer jump. I tend to start at 0.040 and work out in 0.005 increments. Don't be fooled by that tight group that opens up 0.003 each side of it. You're looking for a node that holds together at 0.003+ wide. This provides forgiveness in seating depth when individual bullet ogives vary by a thou or few.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.