Accubond Long Range opinions.

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
Have just bought a new 26" stainless barrel in 264 Win Mag for my switch barrel rig, today I picked up some 6.5mm Accubond Long range 129gr bullets for it. Still waiting on my brass to show up.
My question, are these gonna be OK to 800yrds and beyond on game, and should I believe the BC of G1 .561 and G7 .285?
I haven't dabbled with a 6.5 for some time.
Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers.
gun)

Some time back Bryan Litz posted his bc testing of the Nosler lrab if I remember correctly. You may want to give those numbers a try. I recently worked up a load with the 150 gr. in a .280 Rem and found Bryan's bc to be very close. Dont know how these bullets perform but hope to find out soon.
Good luck on the new barrel and your load development. Let us know how it shoots.

Thanks for the replies guys, will have to do so range testing it seems.
I would really like to give the Bergers a run in a few cals, but there's only 2 suppliers in Australia and neither have got any hybrids in stock. The Accubond LR was the only 6.5's they had in any brand, I've ordered 140gr Berger Hybrids, but no delivery date as yet.
My brass still hasn't arrived, oh well, just have to wait.
I don't know what the supplies situation is over there, but here the shelves are nearly empty, no brass to be had, only loaded ammo, 264 Win Mag ammo in Winchester 140gr Power Point is $77.00 a box!

Cheers.
gun)

From what I have read from people that have actually shot game with the 129 LRAB is it will expand well at long range but it will blow up really bad at close ranges. One fellow that does a lot of crop damage control work up in WV shoots nothing but pistols like the Rem XP and he shot a few deer in the 100 to 200 yard range with his 6.5-284 it think 14" barrel so the velocity was down some from longer barrel rifles and it really made a mess out of them. He stated that he was going back to the 130 gr Accubond. I use the 130 Accubond in my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps from the 27 3/4" barrel with Retumbo powder and have taken a dozen plus white tail deer from 30 to a little over 400 yards and it is just plain awesome. By the way to get 264 Win cases all you have to do is run a 7mm Rem Mag case into your FL 264 Win mag sizing die and presto you have a 264 Win mag case. That is what I do. As for loading stuff it is getting a little better but shelves are still very light and what you do find the price is hiked up. $26 to $30 a pound for powder average. Bullets about two times what they were before all this mess. I priced some lead shot for shotgun shell loading the other day and I can purchase the loaded shells for less. Good luck with your 264 Win mag I know you will love it.

From what I have read from people that have actually shot game with the 129 LRAB is it will expand well at long range but it will blow up really bad at close ranges. One fellow that does a lot of crop damage control work up in WV shoots nothing but pistols like the Rem XP and he shot a few deer in the 100 to 200 yard range with his 6.5-284 it think 14" barrel so the velocity was down some from longer barrel rifles and it really made a mess out of them. He stated that he was going back to the 130 gr Accubond. I use the 130 Accubond in my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps from the 27 3/4" barrel with Retumbo powder and have taken a dozen plus white tail deer from 30 to a little over 400 yards and it is just plain awesome. By the way to get 264 Win cases all you have to do is run a 7mm Rem Mag case into your FL 264 Win mag sizing die and presto you have a 264 Win mag case. That is what I do. As for loading stuff it is getting a little better but shelves are still very light and what you do find the price is hiked up. $26 to $30 a pound for powder average. Bullets about two times what they were before all this mess. I priced some lead shot for shotgun shell loading the other day and I can purchase the loaded shells for less. Good luck with your 264 Win mag I know you will love it.
Thanks RT2506,
I'm getting similar reports here about close range shots, I have no intention on hitting anything under 300yrds with this rig, it's not a walk around set up.
I can't get 7mmRM or 338WM brass, so still waiting for my 66 pieces of once fired to show up in the mail.
I've had brass on order for more than 12 months in various cals, it's getting worse here, not better.
$26-$30 a pound is far cheaper than here, 1/2 pound/500grams of Varget here is $55 everywhere, and the stuff is made here!

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.