Accubond Long Range accuracy/precision

tbrice23

Has anyone had good accuracy loading these?
If so what weight and velocity?

I thinking about trying 7mm 150gr ABLR in a 7WSM 8.7 twist. Probably be able to push these to 3200 fps or so.
I've heard bad experiences, just wondering if anyone had good things to say at all.
Thanks.

I did some work with 168lrabs in a 7rum..mv of 2950fps...shot decent at 300..
Really shot good at a rock at 777 yards....small rock...made smaller by several shots...
As for a hunting bullet...I believe they are 1.25" or so...the one found in the offside of the elk at 570 yards was only .45" in lenght...the rest disentegrsted inside that elk....skinning that critter there was a bloody mess from way back in the ribs to up the neck...the muscles were engorged with blood...so much that at least 30# stayed on the side of the hill....bullet hit behind the front shoulder..1/3 the way up...should have been a perfect kill..top of heart and lungs.....shouldn't have been that much damage.....
Deleted my pictures as every time I saw them it made me mad........the front of that bullet needs to be some harder...might as well used them for rodents....

Sounds like you made a great shot so it would have been accurate and it delivered a deeply penetrating and thoroughly lethal shot on a large animal at 570 yards. That has been my experience also.

I have tried several of them; 130gr. in .264, 150gr. & 168gr. in .284 and 150gr. in .308 and could not get the accuracy I was looking for nor the velocity. Minute of deer was about it. Nosler makes some good bullets. . .these just don't fit my needs. I've also wondered if maybe the bonding process could be the culprit, but that is what caught my interest in these bullets. . .they're tough!

That's what I am worried about.

What I like about what I read, high BC and a tangent ogive. SHOULD have made for a great shooting bullet but the vast majority of reports are of poor precision.
Ballistic Tips, regular Accubonds and Sierra Matchkings all have tangent ogives and are incredibly easy to tune.

I dont get it.

I tried The ABLR's in ,270, 7mm & .308 cal. last year and found in most every case the standard Accubond bullets grouped quite a bit better. Not sure if it was longer bullet length vs. twist rate causing accuracy difference or not - but cheaper to change bullets than rifle barrels. Just my limited experience.

That's what I am worried about.

What I like about what I read, high BC and a tangent ogive. SHOULD have made for a great shooting bullet but the vast majority of reports are of poor precision.
Ballistic Tips, regular Accubonds and Sierra Matchkings all have tangent ogives and are incredibly easy to tune.

I dont get it.
I read a thing that litz wrote, I'm going from memory but what I gathered is the lraccubond has enough forward weight that most standard twist rates don't stabilize them fully. He said they achieved much better bc and accuracy in appropriate twist rates. He then kind of harangued nosler for not publishing that ppl need certain twist rates to run their bullets.

What type of seating stem are you all using. Are you using the vld or the standard seating stem. I believe that they would be similar to the bergers; in that your best accuracy potential would be derived from the vld seating stem. If your leaving a mark or a ring behind the tip you are wright from the get go compromising accuracy. I could not get bergers to group because of using standard seating stem, because of this very thing. Just asking. ctw

I've used them in a friends.280 150 gr. and in my 129 gr in 6.5-06. This past year. Bullets performed great on game 2 elk, 1 Oryx, 1 mule deer, 1 antelope all one shot kills. Both guns are holding 1/2 MOA at 600yds.

One thing we have seen is both liked .050 jump. The new BC's have been accurate

just measured my 150 ablr load in 7-08 it is pretty accurate seems to hold half or better moa it is right at .050 off , plinker how fast are you running them ? I am a little worried about pushing them much above 2900 and not getting a pass through on game up close

6.5-06 is at 3000fps.
. 280 is 2800fps.

Only pass through was the Antelope. All others stopped on off side. All shots were 200yds and under.

Probably get pass through on deer size game but not much bigger. If pass through is you goal probably not the best bullet. They shed about 50% of weight with fragmentation which I prefer. The original Accubonds will hold together for pass through a a little better

6.5-06 is at 3000fps.
. 280 is 2800fps.

Only pass through was the Antelope. All others stopped on off side. All shots were 200yds and under.

Probably get pass through on deer size game but not much bigger. If pass through is you goal probably not the best bullet. They shed about 50% of weight with fragmentation which I prefer. The original Accubonds will hold together for pass through a a little better
I spoke to a tech at Nosler the other day asking about various bullets. He said the ABLR is designed to maintain 40% of weight and shed the rest, and sounds like you have had a similar experience. Trying to figure out what my go to bullet will be this year for a bull elk out of my 28 Nosler. Thinking either the ABLR or Partition, but leaning towards the ABLR first.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts