Accubond, Hammer or Berger?

Accubond, Hammer or Berger

• Total voters
What, weight Bullet is best for, a .270 WSM with, a 1-10 Twist ?
"Rumor" has it that, all Copper Bullets, LOSE thier "Poop" and,.. fall to the Ground at about,.. 600 yards ?
True / False,.. LOL !
With 1:10, you're limited down to the 124 gr, but they will be zipping. At 500 ft. over seal level and 3400 fps it gets you out to about 800 yds where you cross 1800 fps. Move it up to 3500 fps and you get a little more.

I'd seriously consider running the 128 gr Badlands BD-2's if I were you. They are good down to about 1,600 fps which gets you out to about 1,050 yd with velocity at 3,210. I'd think you could push them a little faster than that, but have not tried that weight/cartridge specifically.

Check out the performance on elk etc out of a 270 SS at 3,210 fps:

Last edited:
Which caliber and grain?
A custom 300 RUM - 190's - going way over book speeds.
It is a friends gun, and after we got the two elk down he confessed to pushing it too fast.
My point is simply - speed/distance affect expansion on almost all bullets.
I chose to get penetration with no expansion rather than no penetration. One will kill but leave little evidence to follow, the other will wound with predictable results.

My friend still hunts successfully with Bergers and swears by them - while I like the ABLRs. To each his own.

A custom 300 RUM - 190's - going way over book speeds.
It is a friends gun, and after we got the two elk down he confessed to pushing it too fast.
My point is simply - speed/distance affect expansion on almost all bullets.
I chose to get penetration with no expansion rather than no penetration. One will kill but leave little evidence to follow, the other will wound with predictable results.

My friend still hunts successfully with Bergers and swears by them - while I like the ABLRs. To each his own.
Most of the stories I see of Berger failure seem to be with 30 cal for some reason. I know it is one of the most popular sizes so that gives an optic of more failures simply because it is more used, but it seems 30's are just more common for issues with Berger.

Most of the stories I see of Berger failure seem to be with 30 cal for some reason. I know it is one of the most popular sizes so that gives an optic of more failures simply because it is more used, but it seems 30's are just more common for issues with Berger.
And it would be interesting to tabulate failures by model as well. I'm betting the RUMs and Wildcats account for the majority due to pushing the limits!

My experience on Elk at close and 600 yd distances in 30 cal performance has been Bergers 215 hybrid in my 30 Nosler. DRT every time. That combo seems to be the perfect recipe. It's either the weight or size I don't know. Strangely I've heard other combos not so. Another winner for me. I've had the same success is ABLR 190 @ 3100FPS. DRT. Both loading are half moa loads

Here's my thoughts, go with the bullet that you can get yer hands on. Berger's are non existent right now. I have a couple 100 rounds of Lazer tipped Cutting Edge bullets that aren't single feed that I want to play around with in my 338 Edge. However, their selection of Lazer tipped bullets in 308 that aren't single feed sucks. Hammer bullets aren't much better when it comes to finding heavier bullets that will work with the twist rate of my guns.