Accubond, Hammer or Berger?

Accubond, Hammer or Berger

• Total voters
When it comes to elk I want a copper mono, no matter what brand. I voted for the Hammer because it is a mono, not because it is a Hammer. If it had been Barnes I would have voted for it over any lead core bullet. I have had disastrous results even with bonded bullets at close range. Many of the elk I have taken have been under 100tds. Years of actual in the field results mean far more to me than BC.
IF I knew that, my shots were going to be, ONLY,..100 to 350 Yards, I'd shoot, the 160 Partitions as,..
I KNOW what, they "do", almost,.. every Time !
And I wish that, I had one, in my Rifle, in Northern Arizona, a couple of years ago, for that, 60 to 70 Yard, shot !
I've heard lots of, good things and "some" Bad about, Copper Bullets but, never tried them, and so, I never comment about, something that, I don't, "know" about. Having shot, Elk with, 150, 165 and 210 grain, Partitions, over the years, I'm pretty comfortable using them, "up close".

Last edited:
When it comes to elk I want a copper mono, no matter what brand. I voted for the Hammer because it is a mono, not because it is a Hammer. If it had been Barnes I would have voted for it over any lead core bullet. I have had disastrous results even with bonded bullets at close range. Many of the elk I have taken have been under 100tds. Years of actual in the field results mean far more to me than BC.

You have to love the accuracy and expansion of most monos but when it comes to elk, one simply cannot discount lead core bullets such as the Nosler Partition, Accubond, Swift or many others, that can be dialed in excellently.

I know a guy that shot a cow elk 7x with 185 classic hunter in 300 WSM,. Under 200 yards. no penetration. I quit shooting Bergers for hunting after using 175 LRAB in 7mm and 210 LRAB in 300 prc. Near or far they have been 100 % reliable.

I'm have a 270 wsm I built with a 1-9t I run the 126 hammers at 3450fps 2 yrs ago I killed a 5 point bull . At 430y 1 shot went they both shoulder and exited . Had about 1 1/2-2" hole thru the lungs the inside was all blood. Bull went maybe 15yards maybe 2-3lbs of meat loss . We also shot another bull with that same set up but it was a neck shot at 450yards but great results . I have used 140 accubonds for deer and elk , black bear never lost a animal . I also have had great luck with Berger bullets on big game . I use hammer and Berger's bullets now . But each bullet has its place

What bullet speed? I have shot 4 deer, including a big bodied Kansas buck, with a 6.5 140gr VLD and been 2750 to 2850 fps. 3 shots right through the shoulder, 1 was straight on through the brisket….2 DRT and 2 went maybe 20 yds.

Have also shot a few with a 280AI and the 168 VLD, again, one a Kansas big bodied buck, from 2700 to 2950 fps. None blew up and all deer died with 40 yds.

Im not saying you are wrong at all, just saying that we need to define high velocity as that will be defined differently by different people. Some will shoot a 245 out of a 30 Nosler and some may shoot a 165 out of the same chambering, and game may be shot at 750+ or it may walk out 50 yards away. Those people will probably have different definitions of high velocity.
I am not exactly sure - long story as to why I left my gun in camp - but it was a buddy's gun in 300 RUM, 190 grain VLDs going over suggested speed (according to him). We killed 2 elk in 30 minutes. I put three in mine, he put 4 in his, and later confessed he may have pushed the limits on the bullet. He is a competition shooter with many kills at ELR and likes pushing the limits. Both elk were 500 yards, and all shots were not penetrating. He shoots only Berger's to this day. But after reading MUCH information on this site, Snipershide, and other forums I found this is not an uncommon issue.

My point remains - velocity at impact affects these newer bullets greatly, and since I shoot a 7 mag (considered light for Idaho elk) I opted for a bonded bullet to ensure penetration. (pics from that hunt)

Attachments

• G1D.jpg
    G1D.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 198
  • G3A.jpg
    G3A.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Idaho Elk.JPG
    Idaho Elk.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 200
One thing I never hear is the Berger nay sayers talk about is how fast there there spinning them.
I can tell you it has a direct affect on how they perform believe it if you want.
For those that have used hammers and know their performance , accuracy velocity gain penetration at any distance point blank too as far as you can accurately shoot with steller terminal performance etc I would be surprised if you found one nagative review of Hammer bullets they are a game changer

For those that have used hammers and know their performance , accuracy velocity gain penetration at any distance point blank too as far as you can accurately shoot with steller terminal performance etc I would be surprised if you found one nagative review of Hammer bullets they are a game changer
I'm not saying there is any negative review of Hammers at all, the post was about Bergers wasn't it?

The origanal op was about voting on your bullet of choice Accubond Hammer or Berger I was making a statement about Hammers sorry you got offended

One thing I never hear is the Berger nay sayers talk about is how fast there there spinning them.
I can tell you it has a direct affect on how they perform believe it if you want.My
One big advantage to a mono in good material is how fast they can be spun, and driven. My 6.5 Ultracat will drive a Hammer Hunter to 3960 fps through a 1-6" twist Bartlein Barrel, with excellent results..

With the correct material low velocity expansion to 1800 fps is the norm. This puts the useful range in this bullet/cartridge combo from zero to 1000 plus yards. Fouling isn't an issue with this material in my experience either.

I can't speak to Berger, but can say from experience fast twist on older cup core bullets when pushed is neither good for accuracy, exterior ballistics, or terminal performance.

Devils in the details, incorrect barrels may be an issue. Easier to just blame the bullet portion of the equation, and nothing wrong with changing to a more suitable bullet its cheaper than a barrel change. It is important to understand as well as possible there are many factors in what we observe we may forget.

I'm not offended, you insinuated I said something about Hammer bullets.
The bottom line is match your bullet you want to the twist and speed, ive had excellent luck with Bergers on alot of deer and elk BUT I dont spin them more than necessary. People say oh they didn't do this or that but you only get part of the story.
I've shot alot of sage rats with 9-12 twist 20 cals and I can tell you for a fact the exact same bullet in a 9 will explode more than an 11 will you here guys that shoot alot of P.D say the same thing so why would a Berger be any different.

Recent Posts