Accubond early expansion problems.

Look at my pictures above, different weight and velocity but I can't ever imagine an ABLR being explosive like the Berger's or ELDM'S.
BTW I had a 215 pencil through my bull last season at 680 yards, the other shot I put in him blew up. Go figure, pretty inconsistent for hunting that's for sure.
With all due respect I will take the couple hundred elds and bergers I've put in gel and game Over a 22" stump and mud plus one bull? I get a nuisance permit to kill deer in bean fields every year. Between 3-6 farms per year average 40 deer per farm shots from 200-1200 yards. I know what works and what doesn't at this point. Bergers expand later than man LR hunting bullets. ELDx open quick and expand well ABLR expand the fastest and penetrate the least.

last year I used

300wby 30" rl26
210 berger hunting vld @ 3320 fps
208 amax 3328fps
212eld 3324fps
215 Berger 3295fps
190 ABLR 3410fps
210ABLR 3274fps

7wsm
175 ABLR 3110 fps
175 ELDx 3090fps
162ELDx 3190fps
162ELDm 3190 fps
180 ELDm 3060 fps
150ABLR 3340fps
175 Berger 3070 fps
180 Berger 3040 fps
160 TMK 3180 fps

each load killed multiple deer. if you want to span this over a 7 year period say on average 4 fields per year. 40 deer per field thats that's 1,120 deer. Enough that my weatherby is having to get a new tube. The reason there's no 6.5s on there last year is my 6.5-284 was getting rebarreled last spring. The ABLR is a very explosive Bullet in my findings. The normal accubond isa very respectable tough bullet. I've only recovered a normal accubond on long ways shots and then it's in the hams. Get a accubond with sectional density in the .270-.285 region and it will expand well and penetrate as far as you need it and then some.

With all due respect I will take the couple hundred elds and bergers I've put in gel and game Over a 22" stump and mud plus one bull? I get a nuisance permit to kill deer in bean fields every year. Between 3-6 farms per year average 40 deer per farm shots from 200-1200 yards. I know what works and what doesn't at this point. Bergers expand later than man LR hunting bullets. ELDx open quick and expand well ABLR expand the fastest and penetrate the least.

last year I used

300wby 30" rl26
210 berger hunting vld @ 3320 fps
208 amax 3328fps
212eld 3324fps
215 Berger 3295fps
190 ABLR 3410fps
210ABLR 3274fps

7wsm
175 ABLR 3110 fps
175 ELDx 3090fps
162ELDx 3190fps
162ELDm 3190 fps
180 ELDm 3060 fps
150ABLR 3340fps
175 Berger 3070 fps
180 Berger 3040 fps
160 TMK 3180 fps

each load killed multiple deer. if you want to span this over a 7 year period say on average 4 fields per year. 40 deer per field thats that's 1,120 deer. Enough that my weatherby is having to get a new tube. The reason there's no 6.5s on there last year is my 6.5-284 was getting rebarreled last spring. The ABLR is a very explosive Bullet in my findings. The normal accubond isa very respectable tough bullet. I've only recovered a normal accubond on long ways shots and then it's in the hams. Get a accubond with sectional density in the .270-.285 region and it will expand well and penetrate as far as you need it and then some.
I've been hunting with Elds and Berger's for years, I've had them come apart on many animals not just one bull.
I haven't shot any lighter ABLR's but from what I just witnessed the 265 is much much tougher than berger 250's
I don't care if it's not ballistic gell the comparison is still valid, one was explosive and one was not.
I'll use a totally wet media and shoot them both again

Is anyone else experiencing over expansion of 168 gr Accubond in .30 cal 300 Win Mag.
Any tipped bullet is designed to open on contact, a 168 at 300 Win speeds will make it open like gang Buster's and will likely ruin some meat, if I shoot an accubond in a 300 it's a 200 gr but we shoot very few of them any more since moving to the 215 Berger.

Last edited:
I thought the ABLR was going to be epic till I put it into game, didn't even finish the season with them and we were back to Berger's, they are easily the most explosive bullet I've seen hit game, we had to pump rounds even into deer cause they would blow up on the on side them plug a hole through, what a mess!! Quickly went back to Berger's!!

Last edited:
I thought the ABLR was going to be epic till I put it into game, didn't even finish the season with them and we were back to Berger's, they are easily the most explosive bullet I've seen hit game, we had to pump rounds even into deer cause they would blow up on the on side them plug a hole through, what a mess!! Quickly went back to Berger's!!
Glad to know somebody else has the same experience with them. I've went through several boxes and they all act the same regardless of sectional density caliber and muzzle velocity.

Which ABLR did this?

Glad to know somebody else has the same experience with them. I've went through several boxes and they all act the same regardless of sectional density caliber and muzzle velocity.

What is your preferred bullet for a hunting situation that can be up close or long range?

Heres my reply to that question.I run a 338 nm,300 otm.Good near and really far .When i hit game close it is devastating. Solves alot If youve been on this forum for a large amount of time,it is obvious that Berger has accounted for 1000,s of game animals,and many long range accuracy.But so have many other bullets.There is alot that is true for close to far ,its hard to have the perfect combo.When I ran some smaller stuff like my 325wsm,i ran a lr and a timber bullet.My all time best was the partition,was what I shot the most.Its not considered LR, I shot a good number of elk at distance with a 225/340wby. barnes been around forever,I notice now of late a larger interest in mono,from more sources.Seems to be the Next step in a way.

Last edited:
I don't think you can get your 338 NM up to speed. To cause this. But I hope you let use know.
Thank you for sharing your input, I definitely don't want to see any more bullets come apart on elk.
As I mentioned above, Elds and Berger's have failed me big time and I want a bullet that will not blow up on elk shoulders.
I'll get some heavy bone and wrap it in wet newspaper for a torture test.
If these don't work out I'll switch to mono's

Just thinking out loud here but I wonder what would happen to the bullet world if Nosler would take the Partition and add a boat-tail design and an ELDX type heat shield type tip on it . Jack Carter was getting close. Think it would open up at long range?

When I get my phone figured out ill post picts of a rear elk 1/4 main bone.That I shot at 200 yrds,wired to target backstop.Shot with 300 otm,threw the knuckle,had picture on here years ago,because I was worried.Shot hole right threw,shot other end,blew bone to pieces and punched the whole thing threw 1/2 osb backer,whole size 2'.Made a beliver out of me,course I had already shot the bull up close in timber threw brush and best blood trail ever,less bow kills ive had,
SP 6x6 MF.jpg

Thank you for sharing your input, I definitely don't want to see any more bullets come apart on elk.
As I mentioned above, Elds and Berger's have failed me big time and I want a bullet that will not blow up on elk shoulders.
I'll get some heavy bone and wrap it in wet newspaper for a torture test.
If these don't work out I'll switch to mono's
I've shot the 6.5, 270 and 7mm ABLR, none in 338, we run the 250 Bergers in RUM's at 3100 fps and 300's at 2830 and they are one shot rolling elk, I actually prefer the 250 for most of our hunting which when we use a 338 is in shots over 800-1000 yards and out into the 1400+ range I again prefer the 250 Berger but we won't shoulder shoot an elk at closer ranges anyway only at farther where these bullet will plow through and still get a wound channel. The only other bullet I shoot other than the Bergers anymore are the Hammers, get similar lethality as the Bergers but with an almost certainty of exits which I personally don't care about just as long as the insides are a mess and I don't have to track anything.

What is your preferred bullet for a hunting situation that can be up close or long range?
The heaviest per caliber normal accubond you can find is my favorite "do all bullet". I liked the heaviest ELDx and ELDm okay. The 175 and 180 berger are neck and neck in my wsm.

This year the majority of my kills are going to be with the 7wsm as my 6.5 and 300wby are both off getting rebarreled. Currently working on a load for a sendero 300rum I picked up last week. Hoping I'll find something acceptable soon because as of now it's not shooting anything better than 1 MOA