Accu-stock is flimsy, what can be done ?

sheep dog

I recently purchased a savage model 10 predator hunter which come with the accu-stock and after shooting it for a few days my only gripe is that the forearm of the stock is flimsy and twist very easily. If I understand the accu-stock correctly it comes with aluminum pillars already bedded under the action the forearm is free floated, however the forearm will twist enough to touch the barrel if not held correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this and can it be fixed without buying another stock?

I thought of glassing carbon rods into the end of the forearm to stiffen it up, any thoughts?

I recently purchased a savage model 10 predator hunter which come with the accu-stock and after shooting it for a few days my only gripe is that the forearm of the stock is flimsy and twist very easily. If I understand the accu-stock correctly it comes with aluminum pillars already bedded under the action the forearm is free floated, however the forearm will twist enough to touch the barrel if not held correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this and can it be fixed without buying another stock?

I thought of glassing carbon rods into the end of the forearm to stiffen it up, any thoughts?

I epoxied heavy walled hydraulic tubing in the forearm of a couple of them for buddies a few years back. Think I used .060" walled .312" tubing that was stainless steel. Also epoxied an aluminum plate in the bottom where the sling stud goes thru on at least one.
gary

Mine had a forearm was touching the barrel in af few spots without touching the stock at all. I ended up opening it up enough so that the barrel is far enough away to not touch with my typical hold and rest positions. It is somewhat flimsy, but the rifle sure can shoot. Pretty consistent sub .5 MOA, even with cheap factory ammo.

Last edited:
You are correct, it shoots excellent straight out of the box, but I had to place my hand under the magwell to get it not to touch the barrel. Unless someone has any other suggestions on fixing it without buying another stock I am thinking of placing the carbon fiber rods in the forearm and glassing them in. I say that but have not removed the stock from the action and prob wont till deer season is over in January so not to change anything.

Funny how everything is real good IMO about the rifle except a cheap forearm, however it does shoot well enough I can deal with it lol :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.