Acceptable runout on new cases

Neck thickness and weight consistency is one thing we pay for premium brass.
But knowing that the brass capacity, runout and neck tension is going to be completely different once you fire and run them thru your loading process, is why some of us are saying that's it's a waste of time to worry about new brass runout...

I absolutely agree with all but the waste of time checking new runout. I know from experience that Norma, Nosler, and Lapua normally yield less than .001 neck runout so if I am paying for it it better be close to that or I am getting rid of it and moving on.

I absolutely agree with all but the waste of time checking new runout. I know from experience that Norma, Nosler, and Lapua normally yield less than .001 neck runout so if I am paying for it it better be close to that or I am getting rid of it and moving on.

That's where you and I differ, I can take a $2.00 piece of brass that has very bad runout, and fire thru my chamber and it will come out with less than .001". Then if I do my job right I can maintain that thru my process...
Not saying your wrong, I just know I can fix whatever the factory has dealt me most of the time..

I do not disagree with your statement. I actually said that in my first post. I have run into a batch of Nolser that had .004-.007 neck thickness variations. I am not willing to deal with that. I have a 7-300. I start with brass neck runout of .001. When I am done necking it down it can be as much as .004. Once I fire it it is right back to .001. I am ok with this but I do not want to start with neck thickness variations and have to turn necks. I would be perfectly ok with it for a benchrest rifle but not my hunting rifles.

Yea, neck thickness variation is whole other ball game...
I turn the high spots off of all my necks.
I started a thread a while back about this...
And I stated that the RCBS case master concentricity guage was the cause of a lot of lost in thought stares and sleepless nights. Lol

Last box of.lapua brass i checked most were around .001. Only 4 pieces out of 100 were greater than .003.

Can't hurt to start right. That is why i buy lapua.

Nosler brass is even more expensive. Wouldn't expect to have to fireform it to straighten it out. To me it is an indication that a lot more needs.to be checked on that brass.

With lapua i don't check neck thickness, neck turn, sort by weight, or work on flashholes either.

With brass with neck runout like the OP posted i would have to check all these things

While I'm new to this board, this isn't my first rodeo in the forum arena or my first run in with a keyboard Rambo who has told me that I don't know what the hell I am doing.:rolleyes: I'm just here to pick up some tips and meet a few new guys interested in the same stuff I am...

I get what Mike is saying, I guess I just expect a little more out of a respected company like Nosler that boasts the following;
Nosler Cartridge Brass | Fully Prepped, Ready To Load!

Build the perfect load has long been the motto of hand loaders loyal to Nosler brand bullets–and was the sole reason we developed Nosler® cartridge brass. Introduced in 2005, the Nosler® cartridge brass line is ready to load. Manufactured with the traditional Nosler philosophy of uncompromising attention to detail, Nosler® cartridge brass is created to exact dimensional standards and tolerances, using quality materials for maximum accuracy and consistency potential while extending case life. Nosler® brass also undergoes the rigorous quality control that premium Nosler bullets have experienced for over 60 years.
Every chamber is a little bit different so no factory ammo or factory brass will ever be a perfect fit.

There brass is "ready to load" by SAAMI standards and that's about the best you can hope for from anyone's factory brass. Even as good as Lapua brass is it needs to be sized, trimmed and often neck turned before it will run right in a given chamber.

Every chamber is a little bit different so no factory ammo or factory brass will ever be a perfect fit.

There brass is "ready to load" by SAAMI standards and that's about the best you can hope for from anyone's factory brass. Even as good as Lapua brass is it needs to be sized, trimmed and often neck turned before it will run right in a given chamber.

I have measured 1000's of pieces of new lapua brass. Never have i had to trim it.

Lapua brass does come with tight necks. I run an expandrel mandrel through them and run them through my sizing die just to reduce neck tension.

Never bothered to neck turn. The neck thickness i have measured has been very consistent. All my rifles have no neck turn chambers. If you enjoy neck turning and know how to do it right guess it can't hurt

I would hope that you wouldn't need to trim new premium brass for a standard caliber... Since Nosler (and I assume Lapua???) weight sorts their brass would kinda defeat the purpose if they aren't uniform lengths.

Just saw on their website that they offer unprepped brass for a few calibers, I've never seen this offered anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.