Acceptable groupings for hunting?

Thank you and sure thing.

It's just shooting a half MOA group over the sticks isn't exactly realistic for 99% of the shooters out there... It's tough enough off the bench and the question was "Acceptable groups"...

I suppose it's about being realistic and knowing your own limits.

Nobody said anything about shooting position. The OP asked about the guns accuracy capability. The best way to decipher that is off of the bench.

Everything else is SHOOTER ABILITY!!

Tod

Like our Kalahari guys..

Shooting tiny springbuck at distances exceeding 300m is no easy task as they're not static creatures by nature (very skittish and animate herd animals)...

Generally with lightning fast calibers though - .22-250 Remington Magnum, .220 Swift, .243 Ackley, .243Winchester , 6mm XC, 6mm Dasher and 260 Remington, 7mm Rem Mag ...

Yes! The same with the pronghorn antelope when they have been shot at already and they love the open prairies where they run fast (they're often called speed goats for a reason) and roam openly and is hard to sneak up to.

1024091042b.jpg

(Taken at 338 yards * - GunBroker.com Message Forums - Filled My Antelope Tag Today!)

LRH is different, at least in my neck of the woods, where you set-up the best vantage point for the game. The 300M distance is not the most challenging aspect but reading and compensating for the wind.

Montana is notorious for it's winds.

windsock_zpswxzaln1c.jpg

Here's a gentle zephyr while antelope hunting last season ... :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

[ame]https://youtu.be/0g8VvpqdtkQ?t=3[/ame]

Cheers!

These responses have been great. And I agree 1.5moais unacceptable I've gotten rid of a few that wouldn't shoot better than that even though the company said that's what they garuntee dt hose rifles to shoot.

Misinterpreted the OP.

The worst inherent rifle accuracy acceptable should be 0.75MOA before exceeding 300m.

The shooter should be capable shooting 1.5MOA over the sticks in the standing position.

Prone position 0.75MOA.

Thing is with developed loads most modern rifles can do that.. Add a bit of bedding and it goes a long way.

A mate's 308 Winchester in Howa bullbarrel is incredibly precise and.accurate for the price... 0.5MOA group at 500m - cost him R20 000 for the full setup and he put a R10000 Vortex scope on it. That's R30 000 for an outstanding long range platform... Although the short barrel is less than ideal.

These responses have been great. And I agree 1.5moais unacceptable I've gotten rid of a few that wouldn't shoot better than that even though the company said that's what they garuntee dt hose rifles to shoot.

JMHHO, but decide the acceptable MOA at the maximum range you are going to shoot at the game; the more effective and efficient you are the max range, the better your chances in harvesting under ideal conditions ... but that's just me.

Good luck!

JMHHO, but decide the acceptable MOA at the maximum range you are going to shoot at the game; the more effective and efficient you are the max range, the better your chances in harvesting under ideal conditions ... but that's just me.

Good luck!

I agree with your reasoning. But this rifle would only shoot 1.5 MOA @100 nothing better so I figured it would never be accpetable at the maximum if it wasn't acceptable at 100.

A lot of it is practice practice practice. I recently, while scouting a hunting spot, shot a sub moa group at 450 while using an old rusty metal lawn chair ( don't ask how that got in the woods, I don't know) as a front rest and no rear rest. May have been 1/2 moa if a gust of wind didn't get me for a few inches of drift on one shot.

+1!

Here's my last cold bore shot at 200 yards out of my .270 AI before calling it good for the 2014 hunting season ...

200yardscoldboreshot_zps0457c291.jpg

Also, practice shooting a target at the maximum range you'll take the shot, i.e. target the size of elk's vital area at 500 and see if your 100 yards grouping is good enough.

I like to keep a close check on my cold bore shots too. Here is my cold bore check before going on a bear hunt. (Never saw a bear BTW). Shot was 500 yards at my 9" gong. Got a rest off of the tailgate of my buddies Polaris ranger. 6.5-284. Shot was 1/2" high and 1/2" right of dead center.

Maybe not the best bear caliber but I took my 75 yr old dad and I was afraid the dogs might tree in an area he couldn't walk to. So this being my most accurate rifle I thought if the bear was in a tree that he couldn't get to, maybe he could put an accurate shot on it from 600 yards and in. He wanted to kill a bear real bad. Never has killed one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.