Acceptable build time

fisherman983

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on acceptable time frame for a build if you walk into your gunsmith with ALL parts required for the build?

With one build, the smith told me 3-4 months, It actually took 18 months. Later I learned her was putting his regular customers ahead of me.

I have a rifle that's been out for 2 years...my smith has been sick. I'm in regular contact with him and go shooting with him a lot. Hes built 5 guns for me so not too worried. His normal turn around time for me has been 3 months.

Caleb85 had a full custom .308 built for me in 3 months!! He supplied all the parts. It took 6 months for me to get it to pay it off! Lol :confused:

Holy crap brother! Is this with all the necessary components handed to the gunsmith?
He received my barrel and muzzle brake in April a year ago. So he's had the parts since then. Last August I called him wondering on eta, he's like I thought you weren't in a hurry, well I would like it by dec I said. He said no problem. Talked to him a bit ago, all He's got to do is chamber and spin the barrel on. Good thing I'm patient lol

I see he just posted my action and barrel on fb so should be soon

Last edited:
This is the timeline of most good smiths.

You walk in the door of his shop with all of the components needed to build your rifle.

He looks at his schedule to see when he can start your project, and based on other builds he should be able to give you a start date.

If he does your build in the order of work. (First come) and doesn't place other late arrivals ahead of you, your rifle should be finished within two weeks (plus or minus) of the original order date barring medical emergencies with him or his family.

Sometimes it is best to hang on to the components until he is ready to start the work. This way you have a better idea of when he will start.

Actual work can take any where from 2 weeks to one month depending on the amount of work to be performed by him.

If the smith has to order any parts/components the schedule becomes controlled by delivery dates.

I recommend paying only half of the total cost up front so the smith has incentive to finish in a timely manor and to get the rest of the build cost.

Remember, the purposed schedule is yours to except or reject and once you and he agree, both parties should honor the schedule.

Get to know your smith as good as you can and this will help with communication between the two of you.

Barrels and stocks sometimes take 3 to 4 months to purchase, so this has to be part of any schedule.

J E CUSTOM

He received my barrel and muzzle brake in April a year ago. So he's had the parts since then. Last August I called him wondering on eta, he's like I thought you weren't in a hurry, well I would like it by dec I said. He said no problem. Talked to him a bit ago, all He's got to do is chamber and spin the barrel on. Good thing I'm patient lol

You're definitely more patient than I am. Very lucky to have access to 5 reputable gunsmiths within an hour's drive, one of which is 2 miles from my house. Hang in there. Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.