Acceptable 200 Meter Groups?

ricknolan

What is an acceptable 200m group size?

I am working on a load for a 25-06AI to be used for whitetail and antelope and a 300 WM for elk.

The 25-06 is shooting right at 1.3" at 200m. Is that an acceptable group size if I expect to kill a deer or antelope at 300 to 350 yards? I am shooting 115 grain VLD's and the next time I am at the range I will find out the velocity.

The 300 WM is shooting 1.7-8" at 200m, 180 grain Accubond's. Is that good enough to take an elk out to 400 yards or should I keep working to tighten up the group?

Thanks for your input.

Rick

If it was me, I'd be shooting from field positions and be happy with those groups. For 400yds or so, your technique in the field will be the limiting factor if your gun is sub MOA.

JMHO

AJ

Well, this wasn't 200 meters but it was pretty acceptable for 200 yards!!! I shot this last weekend in a match through pretty tough conditions.
rangerecordsporter200atlogan.jpg

But seriously, a group of around 1" to 2" is plenty good for most long range hunting rigs.

If your limiting yoursefl to those ranges, I would say MOA is good enough. We alwyas want it to be better but, if you can shoot a 5 inch group at 400 yards..your will kill a deer! We strive for better but often loose sight of what we are shooitng at.

I hate to use the old Paper plate, but if you can hit it every time in field shooting postions your good to go!

Willys

Rick both guns are plenty accurate enough for the ranges you are talking about and then some. Go kill something!

David

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.