Absolute Hammer's 7mm mag......Strange result

Also, I'll need some more data to post your load:
Barrel brand, length, twist rate, brass, #firings, any special notes (amount of neck tension, crimping, etc), Primer, , temperature if you know it, etc.
Edit: have posted your results on the work sheet. Once I get your barrel info, nk tension, primer and COAL I'll post it on the data sheet for all.

Last edited:
Did it feel like the same amount of pressure while seating? I know it's hard to tell without the right press, but sometimes you just know that one took a lil mo.

rl23 IMO is a great powder, I like 26 also, but in a big case, 23 is ideal. I think Steve gave solid advice. If their is one reloading tool that I have used that has given me the most grief, it's the hornady (stoney point) OAL gauge, I quit using it. I do think it's possible that the OAL could have been an issue with the jump in velocity.
What tool do u use to measure to ogive now?

There is no standard caliber ogive on Absolutes. You cannot measure ogive to lands jump with them, because the ogive never touches the rifling. Everyone can measure OAL of the loaded round - not OTB.
If you pushed the bullet forward until it stopped, you were likely hitting the driving bands on the body of the bullet. One of the secrets of the Absolutes and their speed is the modified ogive design of the bullet. On most bullets, the ogive gets to caliber diameter much further down the bullet toward the nose. The earlier engraving contributes to variations in BC from barrel to barrel and rifle to rifle. The design of the Absolute was an attempt to reduce this BC variation from rifle to rifle. The amount of increase in speed obtainable was somewhat of a surprise and very pleasant to Steve and Brian. With less bullet engraving the lands plus the parabolic drag reduction bands, Absolutes frequently achieve 200+ fps increase over standard construction bullets of like weight.

It would be good to read all of the post on "Introducing the Absolute Hammer." A full description of this bullet design and explanation of reloading quirks can be found there. It's a long post, but should be required reading for anyone attempting to load either regular Hammers or certainly the Absolute Hammers. These bullets do not behave like traditional bullets and require different loading techniques.

Regarding seating depth, many/most people seat the bullets so the base of the bullet (intersection of the body and boat tail) is at the bottom of the case neck. Once seated there, the only variable is powder charge. Hammers don't exhibit much preference to seating depth like cup and core bullets can.

We don't have data for a 7 mag and Deadblow Hammers. The SAUM is closest in capacity. R26 gave slightly more velocity in that cartridge with your bullet weight. We do have a data sheet on the 2nd post in the thread Absolute Hammer Load Data- I assume you are familiar with it?

X-2 Coal is how you measure AH's and the higher velocity / lower impact and the high velocity jumps at when you get near to pressure is a unique trait to the hammer bullets in general but amplified in the AH"s and as GL said no conventional thinking will work with the AH's and IMO RL23 is to slow for that round

X-2 Coal is how you measure AH's and the higher velocity / lower impact and the high velocity jumps at when you get near to pressure is a unique trait to the hammer bullets in general but amplified in the AH"s and as GL said no conventional thinking will work with the AH's and IMO RL23 is to slow for that round
So reloader 26 is too slow then and I'm guessing your saying get into the RL 16 or H4350 powder bracket?

The bullet going down due to increased velocity is flattening the trajection, if you started sighted in at high velocity and went to low velocity you would see the group go down as expected due to slower velocity.

The bullet going down due to increased velocity is flattening the trajection, if you started sighted in at high velocity and went to low velocity you would see the group go down as expected due to slower velocity.
Your absolutely correct but it's hard to explain to some folks, the faster you push the lower they go from the original POI

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.