Absolute Hammer

Seabeeken

Im finishing a 6XC build for varmint hunting and while I have experience with HH bullets I have none with absolute hammers. Im looking for thoughts on whether the 69gr AH can double as a deer and varmint bullet. Would it expand quickly enough for groundhog and coyotes and I sure it is fine for deer. Looking for actual experience in this type of usage. Thanks.

I have used absolute hammers on groundhogs and they definitely open up but the kills aren't as dramatic as a regular varmint bullet due to the nature of what it is designed for. You will always get and exit on woodchucks and coyotes so be mindful. I've also used absolute hammers on deer as well and they preform flawlessly just like the regular hammer hunter terminally. If you are ok with shooting a bullet that costs what they do at groundhogs go for it it will work well for what you're wanting to do. Just note that they take special attention for load development due to the reduced pressure. Most guys seem to have good luck with slightly faster powders than the normal burn rate for that particular weight and case. Happy hunting.

Just for safety's sake, I prefer bullets that completely disintegrate when shooting bullets at volume at rather small critters. Most varmint bullets will come completely apart when contacting anything, ie: small animals, dirt, brush, etc.
I bet you can talk Steve/Brian into spinning you some 6mm Dead Blow Hammers.
I've got some 17gr Dead Blows and I'll run them through some media to see how they perform.

Last edited:
I bet you can talk Steve/Brian into spinning you some 6mm Dead Blow Hammers.
I've got some 17gr Dead Blows and I'll run them through some media to see how they perform.
I'm a Hammer bullet fan for big game but I like the really frangible bullets that turn to dust on contact for PDs and groundhogs.

Haven't tried any dead blows yet. Actually, I never got past the Hammer Hunters because they shoot and incapacitate so we'll.

Ive been using berger varmints in my 20 cal which seldom exits. I also like sierra varmint bullets but they can be hard to get. I like the hammer hunter for deer but had never tried them on groundhogs or coyotes. Thanks for the info. I may just go with 2 different bullets.

Just for safety's sake, I prefer bullets that completely disintegrate when shooting bullets at volume at rather small critters. Most varmint bullets will come completely apart when contacting anything, ie: small animals, dirt, brush, etc.
Yeah, I shot hammers for the first time yesterday and I had one insane ricochet off a rock behind my target. Thankfully I was miles and miles from anyone. Literally had the thought I wouldn't be shooting any groundhogs off a rock wall with monos, dead blow or not.