Absolute Hammer load data

It's the PDR drive bands that engage the lands, so you could treat the band like an ogive, it's just difficult the measure...

-Hammers are consistent enough that you can use overall length to check runout

-Absolutes seem to work better with more drive bands below the case mouth (seated deeper)

-as @bsnyder mentioned, they are somewhat immune to seating depth. It's not clear to me whether they like jump, or they just like more drive bands in the neck? Either way, there is something going on there!

Q
Most just seat for good function through the magazine - regardless of jump. For keeping up with consistency, measure COAL. The one cartridge I had to change seating depth on, I went further IN (shorter) by .010!
Yep, I seat them as deep as I can get them, to be honest I can't remember the last time I even measured a COAL on a Hammer

For most calibers I set them to mag length and go. Hammers are very immune to searing depth. I think others load differently but that's what works for me.

That sounds like an easy plan to me. Would you ever run into an issue with detachable mags or Wyatt's extended mag allowing the bullet to be too long and be "jammed"?

I have seen the statement posted several times that HH are immune to changes in seating depth which is simply false.
I worked up a load in my 280 AI using a 143 gr. HH, H 4831, fed. 215 primer seated .20 off the lands for a ladder test. Once I found a node I loaded up several rounds each seated at .20/.30/.40/.50/.60/. At .20 3 shot group was 1.0, .30 was about .65/.75 and .40 off the lands was a single ragged hole so I never shot the rest I went home a pulled the bullets. The barrel is a Brux .

Every barrel is different. I load for 7 rifles with Hammers. Usually start at .020 off with the Hunters. Only had to change depth on one to get .5 or better (went from .20 to .10 jump).
Just because I said that, the next one will be different🤪. Generally, they don't care in my experience.
G

I just finished a 300 wsm tikka and was at magazine length which put me past the grooves so I didn't bother crimping. I shot up to pressure and backed off a couple grains. Groups weren't too bad but then I worked up.01 and was able to get three into basically 1 hole . So I agree, they can still be tuned but they are much less sensitive than anything else I've ever shot

Attachments

• 2A052561-16EC-45EA-BF18-94AA09E2E26E.jpeg
    2A052561-16EC-45EA-BF18-94AA09E2E26E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
I just finished a 300 wsm tikka and was at magazine length which put me past the grooves so I didn't bother crimping. I shot up to pressure and backed off a couple grains. Groups weren't too bad but then I worked up.01 and was able to get three into basically 1 hole . So I agree, they can still be tuned but they are much less sensitive than anything else I've ever shot
I can agree with the statement that they are much easier to work up a load for but they are not immune to seating depth changes. I call BS.

I have seen the statement posted several times that HH are immune to changes in seating depth which is simply false.
I worked up a load in my 280 AI using a 143 gr. HH, H 4831, fed. 215 primer seated .20 off the lands for a ladder test. Once I found a node I loaded up several rounds each seated at .20/.30/.40/.50/.60/. At .20 3 shot group was 1.0, .30 was about .65/.75 and .40 off the lands was a single ragged hole so I never shot the rest I went home a pulled the bullets. The barrel is a Brux .
Basically Imune Is what I have always said, There is always gonna be rifles that will react to seating depth, I personally have never changed a seating depth and everything I have loaded has shot better than my ability, FWIW I seat everything as short as I can get it (Powder Allowing) so your statement holds true for me, The more jump the better, As I have said before, I don't remember the last time I measured a COAL since I started using Hammers as there was no need

I can agree with the statement that they are much easier to work up a load for but they are not immune to seating depth changes. I call BS.
I wouldn't call it bs as much as a perception that might not always hold true. Probably depends on expectations. That tikka light 300 wsm kicked like a mule even with those 160's and will probably never shoot an animal past 300 yards so fine tuning wasn't really that necessary but it will be interesting ( fun?) to see how it tracks. Definitely not the rifle I'd want to be trying long shots from multiple positions lol. It's my brothers gun and a 1" group would definitely fill his needs