Absolute Hammer load data

So help me understand how this works. I am trying to figure out a load for 162 AH in my 308. Using your method #1, I picked a Barnes 168TTSX because it's close to the same length and weight at the 162AH. CFE223 offers the highest velocity but it already shows a compressed load at max charge and temp stability concerns me a bit with it. Next is Varget but it's also compressed. H4895 is next but again compressed. Next in line in BL-C(2) and it doesn't indicate to be compressed @ 46 grains listed as max charge. Quickload also calculates that my case capacity would be 97.2% and pressure looks good.

All that being said, I should start at max charge of BL-C(2) or powders in that similar burn rate and work up from there?

View attachment 274541

View attachment 274542
You understood what I said. If you want, start 1.0 gr less than max charge with BL-C(2) if it makes you nervous.
Do you have any IMR4166?? That would be the powder I would use. More room to go up in charge weight than BL-C(2).
For reference, I used Benchmark in my 30-06 with the 162 AH. A much faster powder than I ever would have expected to use when I first started loading the Absolutes, but it worked out well.

You understood what I said. If you want, start 1.0 gr less than max charge with BL-C(2) if it makes you nervous.
Do you have any IMR4166?? That would be the powder I would use. More room to go up in charge weight than BL-C(2).
For reference, I used Benchmark in my 30-06 with the 162 AH. A much faster powder than I ever would have expected to use when I first started loading the Absolutes, but it worked out well.
Well I'm having to regroup. I thought I had a little BL-C(2) and benchmark but I don't have either. I don't have any 4166.
So I'm leaning now toward RL10x, H335 and ironically CFE BLK.

Well I'm having to regroup. I thought I had a little BL-C(2) and benchmark but I don't have either. I don't have any 4166.
So I'm leaning now toward RL10x, H335 and ironically CFE BLK.
Got any TAC?
It's all about case fill. Find one in and around the burn rate you want with good velocity that, also, gives you room in the case for a few more grains.

At the range yesterday with 131 HH from my 6.5 PRC. Thought I had a great load at 58GR of Rl-26 last weekend but when shooting it suppressed yesterday ran into pressure issues so reduced load. Went to 56 and is running around 3100 from a 22" tube with no pressure. Didn't have any loaded at 56.5 or 57 but am going to try those as well and see where I am. Shot this group at the very end of the day after cleaning and then 1 fouling shot. 56Gr of RL-26 .070 off the lands with ADG brass and CCI mag primers. Thoughts from anyone about using standard non magnum primers in this combo?

Here's the 3 shot group at 56Gr RL26 but was thinking I could get more speed from it.

16B44A48-D83A-4297-B360-53F95F1A4077.jpeg

Last edited:
At the range yesterday with 131 HH from my 6.5 PRC. Thought I had a great load at 58GR of Rl-26 last weekend but when shooting it suppressed yesterday ran into pressure issues so reduced load. Went to 56 and is running around 3100 from a 22" tube with no pressure. Didn't have any load at 56.5 or 57 but am going to try those as well and see where I am. Shot this group at the very end of the day after cleaning and then 1 fouling shot. 56Gr of RL-26 .070 off the lands with ADG brass and CCI mag primers. Thoughts from anyone about using standard non magnum primers in this combo?

Here's the 3 shot group at 56Gr RL26 but was thinking I could get more speed from it.

View attachment 274671
Awesome group!

At the range yesterday with 131 HH from my 6.5 PRC. Thought I had a great load at 58GR of Rl-26 last weekend but when shooting it suppressed yesterday ran into pressure issues so reduced load. Went to 56 and is running around 3100 from a 22" tube with no pressure. Didn't have any load at 56.5 or 57 but am going to try those as well and see where I am. Shot this group at the very end of the day after cleaning and then 1 fouling shot. 56Gr of RL-26 .070 off the lands with ADG brass and CCI mag primers. Thoughts from anyone about using standard non magnum primers in this combo?

View attachment 274671
I've gone back and forth with standard vs magnum primers with Hammers. Standard large rifle primers gave excellent results in my 6.5-284 Norma and the 124gr Hunter. Personally, I think when you get above 60.0 gr in powder for any given cartridge, the magnum primers work better.

For comparison sake with your 6.5 PRC, my best groups were at 3140 fps with the 124gr Hunter. I did get over 3200, but groups were just better with the lower node and I'm not abusing my brass, either.

I've gone back and forth with standard vs magnum primers with Hammers. Standard large rifle primers gave excellent results in my 6.5-284 Norma and the 124gr Hunter. Personally, I think when you get above 60.0 gr in powder for any given cartridge, the magnum primers work better.

For comparison sake with your 6.5 PRC, my best groups were at 3140 fps with the 124gr Hunter. I did get over 3200, but groups were just better with the lower node and I'm not abusing my brass, either.
What is your load data with the 124?

There seems to be plenty of debate as to whether magnum primers affect pressure and velocity.
I pretty much only use magnum primers as I strive for 100-102% case fill in all my of my load work ups. They do however have thicker cup material reducing the chance of pierced primers if running a higher pressure load.

There seems to be plenty of debate as to whether magnum primers affect pressure and velocity.
I pretty much only use magnum primers as I strive for 100-102% case fill in all my of my load work ups. They do however have thicker cup material reducing the chance of pierced primers if running a higher pressure load.
I've ran both with great success and I push my stuff to the absolute max, never had a pierced primer out of either

What is your load data with the 124?
I'll have to look it up.
I decided to go to the 109 gr Absolute in my 6.5 Norma. At 3511 fps, it's a "hold on fur" to 400 yards and should be perfect for pronghorn this fall. Wanted something flat and fast in case I didn't have time to dial..........learned this lesson last year with very nervous pronghorn in SE Colorado.

Steve Davis had always suggested using magnum primers with his bullets, but recently said that non magnum primers are working well in smaller cartridges.