Absolute Hammer load data

All of your seating dies likely have a built in crimping feature. Lee offers a factory crimp die for your .300 Wby.

Nope, none of mine including my 2 Lees have crimping dies or features.

And is crimping required with the AH?
If so, I might stick to using it in other cartridges for now.

Last edited:
Nope, none of mine including my 2 Lees have crimping dies or features.

And is crimping required with the AH?
If so, I might stick to using it in other cartridges
for now.

Do you have the Lee 3 die Pacesetter sets? If crimping was required I'd think Hammer would say so. Some find it beneficial just like they find it beneficial when seating other brands of bullets.

Lee 2 die sets, plus Forster, Redding and RCBS.

The only thing I crimp is 35 Rem.
BB shows some ruptured necks from not crimping, so that's why I ask.

Looks like these bullets then go in the 30-06, as no one has 300 Wby crimping dies in stock.
I'll try the regular Hammers in the Weatherby.
Like Bean said, crimping is the way to go, but if that isn't available to you, you shoukd look T increasing neck tension. Do you have a Redding Types S bushing die for your 300? If so, get a smaller bushing (I'd say 0.002 smaller) and that will help. I remember an email exchange I had with Steve and he talked about increasing neck tension to help lower ES and SD, as well as tightening up groups

Like Bean said, crimping is the way to go, but if that isn't available to you, you should look T increasing neck tension. Do you have a Redding Types S bushing die for your 300? If so, get a smaller bushing (I'd say 0.002 smaller) and that will help. I remember an email exchange I had with Steve and he talked about increasing neck tension to help lower ES and SD, as well as tightening up groups
Yes, I've got the bushing dies. The thought of adjusting the tension via a smaller bushing had crossed my mind.

Still no idea what powder to consider, though, and in today's world I'm not keen on burning through a bunch if I don't have to.
MRP? Superformance? 4831? RL-19? Those are the ones I have that "seem" to be options.

Has anyone tried 300 Weatherby with the 178gr AH? I don't see it in the Post 2 load data or in the thread.

The "traditional" powder for the 300 Wby with a 180gr bullet is IMR 7828SSC. I'm wondering how much faster to move on the powder chart.

Also, after scanning pages, is every one crimping, or just some cartridges? I'm not sure there is a 300 Wby crimp die commonly available, and in the 6 sets of dies I own I sure don't have one.

Thanks!

As I understand it the AH velocity advantage seems to be limited to the smaller cartridges, once you start getting into the big magnums the speed benefit starts to taper off.

Yes, I've got the bushing dies. The thought of adjusting the tension via a smaller bushing had crossed my mind.

Still no idea what powder to consider, though, and in today's world I'm not keen on burning through a bunch if I don't have to.
MRP? Superformance? 4831? RL-19? Those are the ones I have that "seem" to be options.
Try your 7828 and see if you can get above 3300 before your case is full. If you don't pressure out find a slightly faster powder.

As I understand it the AH velocity advantage seems to be limited to the smaller cartridges, once you start getting into the big magnums the speed benefit starts to taper off.
Yes, the load data sheet notes that occurs with the really large cases, i.e. 100gr capacity.
I may do better gaining speed in the 30-06 though using data already in the load sheet than spending time with the already-fast 300 Wby.

Do you have any HV100? That would be optimal since case fill % is low compared to the others, thus giving you room to go up quite a bit in charge.
Of the ones you have listed above, I would go with 4831.

I have a .300bee as well and some 178's to play with if i can ever find a little time. in my notes i have to test out 84+gr of RL26;
74+ of IMR-4451, and 78+ of IMR-4955. Any thoughts on these?