Absolute Hammer load data

Interesting. I guess I've always stayed on the cautious side as I do some reloading for friends and family. It would be interesting to test actual chamber pressure with your theory. I've noticed factory 6.5 creedmoor rounds showing very flat primers and suspect they are nearing max loads, it would be interesting to poor the powder into some high quality brass and see the results. I guess I just feel as this information may be used as gospel that what seems fine with Peterson brass out of a custom action/barrel may not be safe in a cheaper cast bolt type setups and maybe being able to see the pressure early might avoid a real bummer. On another note, I just ordered a 22 creedmoor barrel for a coyote gun and pretty excited to see the hammers at work. Does anybody want to reckon a guess what bushings for adg brass if it ever becomes available?
Reading primers is sketchy as it varies with which primer your using, bolt lift and ejector mark is what I'm tracking

Reading primers is sketchy as it varies with which primer your using, bolt lift and ejector mark is what I'm tracking
I agree but they are an indicator. At least for me in this colder weather and knowing which primers are softer helps. I'm not trying to start anything, just food for thought. Like I said, I reload for some other guys and they may be shooting in hotter weather and not the most expensive weapons.

I will say this when I load for friends and such I never have them in the upper node just because I dont know the circumstances in which they will be using the ammo it will be in the middle node if it exists or a lower node none of them will be shooting far enough for it to really matter

looking at data, the staball 6.5 powder may be a bit of a wild card-- it is slow on the burn rate chart but appears to bring in better velocities than like burn rate powders--- do people think that is due to it being a ball powder and therefore more can be put in the case?

looking at data, the staball 6.5 powder may be a bit of a wild card-- it is slow on the burn rate chart but appears to bring in better velocities than like burn rate powders--- do people think that is due to it being a ball powder and therefore more can be put in the case?
You got the wildcard part right.

How flat a primer is leaves some doubts, for sure. Cratering can be more indicative, if your firing pin isn't wallowing around in bolt fp-hole.

Close examination of primers, case head and bolt lift, along with velocities, has been working for a long time with reloaders. I would add case measurements and pin gauging the primer pockets as you start to reach Max pressure.

My 264wm and 7MAX have mechanical ejectors that rarely show any case smear, so I have to pay close attention to all the other signs.

Now Back to Absolutely Hammer testing!

Last edited:
where would you guys start with a .300 weatherby and the 178gr AH in a wby mark V?

I was looking around and kind of thinking of starting at 84gr of RL26; 74gr of IMR-4451 or 78gr of IMR-4955. Was thinking of testing the 4955 first.

thoughts?

where would you guys start with a .300 weatherby and the 178gr AH in a wby mark V?

I was looking around and kind of thinking of starting at 84gr of RL26; 74gr of IMR-4451 or 78gr of IMR-4955. Was thinking of testing the 4955 first.

thoughts?
While they will work I think those are going to be to fast to get any kind of decent case fill, Hybrid 100V, Staball 6.5, RL19 or IMR4831 is where I think you will need to be

I agree but they are an indicator. At least for me in this colder weather and knowing which primers are softer helps. I'm not trying to start anything, just food for thought. Like I said, I reload for some other guys and they may be shooting in hotter weather and not the most expensive weapons.
These but these bullets are made to be driven hard Just load conservatively and you'll be fine but if you have a bullet failure or less than expected results don't blame bullet, The Hammers of any variety are not conventional bullets and cannot be treated as such especially the Absolutes, Now here's some food for thought, there is small dedicated group who test Hammers constantly and IMO it would do well to listen to them

While they will work I think those are going to be to fast to get any kind of decent case fill, Hybrid 100V, Staball 6.5, RL19 or IMR4831 is where I think you will need to be
OK thank you. the 4955 should burn close to H4831, though the case fill will differ. I do have a few lbs of H4831 on hand, no IMR4831 at the moment.