Absolute Hammer load data

Along with that, his data for the 140 grain I can no longer find....I was pretty sure the 3320 fps was from his 140 grain load....
Haven't messed with Steve's data. If you will notice he gave a bunch of incomplete data with his submissions. Some are complete, some partial, some pretty vacant. His 140 gr data is on p 8.
G

Finally got around to shooting the 151 in my 300WM. Specifics: 24" factory Remington; new Peterson Long brass; Fed 215M, COAL: 3.516"; StaBALL 6.5.

Charge

I'm sorry sir. I'm having some headspace issues.

Charge Velocity (Labradar)
77.5 3,363
78.0 3,372
78.5 3,402
79.0 3,443
79.5 3,459

Accuracy was sub 1" @ 100 yards for all charge weights and ES was sub 20. I got 0 ES for 79.0 grain charge which is a first for me. That charge also produced the best group at .41". No signs of pressure. Overall, speeds were approximately 150 faster than QL estimate for 150 grain Cutting Edge Raptor. Plan on testing 80.0 and 80.5 if I can pick up some more StaBALL 6.5 locally.

Follow up on 151 AH and StaBALL 6.5 in 300WM data:

Charge Velocity @ 100 Y ES SD
80.0 3,453 .22" 14 9.9
80.5 3,455 .66" 17 8.4
81.0 3,485 .82" 11 5.4
81.5 3,503 1.13" 15 7.5

All were 3 shot groups and Labradar missed one shot at 80.0. No signs of pressure present.

Well bad news is my 6.5 PRC barrel kicked the bucket this weekend less than a week before deer season. My first four shots to finalize my zero for deer season were a 4" horizontal line. Total round count was around 1100 but I started noticing fliers around 900 or so rounds and then the wheels fell completely off. The coincidentally is about the time I started with the Absolute Hammers which explains the accuracy inconsistencies I was seeing.

The good news is I bought a spare on sale months ago for just such a situation and switched it at the range to finish my testing. The new barrel shoots the previous load into sub 1/2 MOA after tweaking the headspace to match my sized cartridges.

The load is as follows,

24" Proof CF Prefit
123 AH
58.2gr H100V
Fired ADG Brass
Fed 210M and CCI BR-2 primers
3380 fps with 10 rounds down the barrel.

Now that I've done some additional testing and realized my barrel was the cause of my issues I'm most likely going to revisit StaBall 6.5 to see what I can get with that.

Well bad news is my 6.5 PRC barrel kicked the bucket this weekend less than a week before deer season. My first four shots to finalize my zero for deer season were a 4" horizontal line. Total round count was around 1100 but I started noticing fliers around 900 or so rounds and then the wheels fell completely off. The coincidentally is about the time I started with the Absolute Hammers which explains the accuracy inconsistencies I was seeing.

The good news is I bought a spare on sale months ago for just such a situation and switched it at the range to finish my testing. The new barrel shoots the previous load into sub 1/2 MOA after tweaking the headspace to match my sized cartridges.

The load is as follows,

24" Proof CF Prefit
123 AH
58.2gr H100V
Fired ADG Brass
Fed 210M and CCI BR-2 primers
3380 fps with 10 rounds down the barrel.

Now that I've done some additional testing and realized my barrel was the cause of my issues I'm most likely going to revisit StaBall 6.5 to see what I can get with that.
I may start a new thread on this, but it would be good to start compiling round counts at which 6.5 PRC barrels are wearing out. This is the first real-world round count I have heard of.

I did nitro-carburize one of my barrels in an effort to extend the life, but it's only at 800 rounds so far.

**back to your regularly-scheduled AH-related programming **

Just a heads up, folks.
I tried to update the file with CMP's data and found a glitch. I've lost the ability to edit/update the data for some reason?
I've got a request for help in but haven't heard anything back yet.
Keep posting your load data and I will update the file as soon as I'm able.
Thanks to all and keep up the good work. Also, happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Just a heads up, folks.
I tried to update the file with CMP's data and found a glitch. I've lost the ability to edit/update the data for some reason?
I've got a request for help in but haven't heard anything back yet.
Keep posting your load data and I will update the file as soon as I'm able.
Thanks to all and keep up the good work. Also, happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
Sorry, GLTaylor

There are site administrative reasons that the edit abilities automatically expire after so many days.

So, how do we resolve this issue?
Start a new spread sheet every couple of weeks?
Len:
Please delete post #2 of this thread and put in a note referring viewers to look at thread #97 for current loading data.
I will start a new post at #97 to keep the data spreadsheet up to date.
How long will I be able to edit this post before it locks up again?
Thanks.
George

Good news! Len has responded favorably and our link is back up on Post #2 of this thread.
I have just updated the spreadsheet and it is now current. As far as I know, it will remain at Post #2 where it began when we started this thread.
Please continue sending your load data and I will continue updating it for use by everyone.

Thank you Len! We appreciate your help in this matter!

(Note: there have been 18 revisions to date. Keep them coming! G)

Last edited:
Anyone try the 178ah with a 30-06 yet? -- I added more today

I did, I think lighter weight bullets are where its at for the-06 but im gonna see what the178s will do.

I tried 3 different powders in a rem 700 mountain 21" pencil barrel today-- rem brass- multi times fired, cci 250 primers, 3.520" COAL

RE16-- 56.0gr ( book shows a 180 will go 2824fps with this combo)--- and darn it all, I had my LR set on pistol so it didn't record the speed :-( -- plenty of room in the case for more powder
56.5gr was 2828, 57gr was 2851, and 57.5gr was 2868 fps
RE23-- 61.0gr shows 2800 for a 180 lead core, I got 2848 , I can put some more in the case but its getting full, 61.5gr today showed 2900fps

RE26- 64.0gr shows 2960 with a 180 lead core, but I only got 2814 and had to use a drop tube, this is a compressed load --- this powder is too slow for this mono bullet.

This shows me that RL 16 is probably a good speed powder to try out--- ill experiment more later.

Might be able to get 2900 from RL23, but RL16 looks more promising

For reference, I get 2879 fps from RE16 with the 166 HH from this rifle, so I'm getting about the same speeds from the 178ah but am just starting load work up , if I can hit 2900 or more with the 178ah ot should Trump the 166 stud hunter bullets
I tried varget too-- wasn't impressed----47.0gr was 2502, 47.5 was 2641, and 48.0gr was 2658fps--slow compared to the others

doesn't look like all the load data is being transferred to the pdf sheet--mine isn't on there