Absolute Hammer load data

I read with great interest this entire thread. I can't recall when I had such a quantum change in the way I think about reloading for big game. In every sense the Absolute Hammer bullets are revolutionary. Thanks to all of you who have generously shared time, experience, and knowledge into this thread on AH. I used some of the data on the spread sheet for 300 Weatherby to pick my powder and quantity.

Now for my initial experience:

30 Nosler (Build by Preece Precision, Ogden, UT)
LPA Fusion Ti
24" Proof Research CF 1:10
Suppressed - Silencerco Hybrid
Peterson new brass trimmed to uniform length, chamfered
Neck sized to 0.0250" smaller than bullet diameter. I have smaller bushings on the way.
178 gr AH
Fed 215M
No crimp. Also checking with Lee for a possible custom LFCD.
COAL adjusted so that the 2nd to the last drive band covered by case mouth. 3.350"

RL-16

74.0 gr 3018 fps
75.0 3099
76.0 3163
77.0 3187
78.0 3249

None of these loads show sticky bolt lift, brass, or primer findings. The primer and brass from 74.0 gr looks like 78.0 gr. A great source of encouragement was that the 4 loads from 75.0 thru 78.0 gr formed an aggregate group of 0.750" center to center.

Just out of curiosity, I loaded one round with 86.0 gr RL-26. Not sure where I got that hair-brained idea! 3386 fps! Sounded different, definite pressure findings on base of brass. Sticky bolt lift.

I am very happy with 78.0 gr RL-16. I have 8 lbs of the stuff. It is relatively temp insensitive. BUT because I am a major ballistics nerd I will likely fuss around to see what other combinations yield.
View attachment 352834View attachment 352835View attachment 352836View attachment 352837
-Green primer 74.0 gr RL-16
-Red primer 78.0 gr RL-16
-0.750" group for 75.0 thru 78.0 gr RL-16 (74.0 gr RL-16 is the lower white hole. I messed with the scope setting between 74.0 and 75.0 gr)
-Red and green primer was the monster! 86.0 gr RL-26. Like Lord Voldemort, this load "Shall Not be Named" in future loadings.

Since I have a wealth of inexperience with AH bullets, I would be interested in any feedback you can provide.
This is some detailed camera work, what are you using?

If you have not found pressure signs with the RL-16 why not creep it up some more and see where you end up velocity and accuracy wise, I have found the absolute hammers to be a little pickier than the other hammers as far as seating depth goes, if you can increase your neck tension till you get a crimp die, 4 or 5 thou. will not hurt you
I think that is a sound idea. I think I'll up it by 0.5 gr increments above 78.0 gr and see what happens. Also, I just got some neck bushings delivered that will allow me to go 0.040" tighter than bullet diameter.

On their website Lee Precision doesn't list a 30 Nosler FCD or the Pacesetter set.

Anyone have any ideas on crimping without a specific LFCD set?

I think that is a sound idea. I think I'll up it by 0.5 gr increments above 78.0 gr and see what happens. Also, I just got some neck bushings delivered that will allow me to go 0.040" tighter than bullet diameter.

On their website Lee Precision doesn't list a 30 Nosler FCD or the Pacesetter set.

Anyone have any ideas on crimping without a specific LFCD set?
Talk to @ButterBean he has been know to customize Lee FCD for guys. He made one for one of my wildcats so I'm sure he can get you going.

I'm curious how this goes for you. I've got a 30-28 Nosler that I'm curious about running some hammers in. I currently run them in 2 other rifles.

Kris

No problem. If I had made that error I would appreciate someone pointing that out. Better safe...
If I were you with a 99 gr case capacity , I would go too a slower powder than RL16 . I'm have not loaded your cartridge , but RL16 seems too fast . I would think a burn rate around H4831 N165 N 565 N570 Rl 26 etc would be a better choice . I would check the data on this forum , and maybe talk too Steve. I could be wrong but RL16 seems way too fast for that case capacity. Be careful , good luck and good shooting.

I used Rl16 with my 300 WM and the 178 AH.

Still testing but comfort range will probably be in the 3250 FPS range using ADG brass. I got up to 76gr at 3312 FPS and 77gr at 3347 FPS, but that is waaaay over what I would want to run these at. Clickers and hard ejector print on both.

Talk to @ButterBean he has been know to customize Lee FCD for guys. He made one for one of my wildcats so I'm sure he can get you going.

I'm curious how this goes for you. I've got a 30-28 Nosler that I'm curious about running some hammers in. I currently run them in 2 other rifles.

Kris
Thanks for the tip. More work to do. I'll post my progress.

If I were you with a 99 gr case capacity , I would go too a slower powder than RL16 . I'm have not loaded your cartridge , but RL16 seems too fast . I would think a burn rate around H4831 N165 N 565 N570 Rl 26 etc would be a better choice . I would check the data on this forum , and maybe talk too Steve. I could be wrong but RL16 seems way too fast for that case capacity. Be careful , good luck and good shooting.
I called Steve. Great guy. He answered the phone! And all of my questions. Here's what I learned from him:

1. You are right. He thought a slower powder in the H4831 range would be good. He also agreed that RL-26 is a good pick.
2. He explained that the newer, more efficient rounds like the 30 Nosler don't benefit from the AH design as much as the more traditional rounds like the 30-06, 280 AI, 270.
3. For shooting long with something like the 30 Nosler, switching to the 180 gr Hammer Hunter is a better choice. The BC advantage of the HH outweighs the MV advantage of the AH at longer distances.
4. Benefits of the AH drop off as the caliber goes up.

So my plan is to switch to the 180 gr HH and work up a solid 30 Nosler load.

And now the 30-06 in the back of my gun safe seems shiny and seductive. I think I'll mess with it and the 151 and/or 162 AH. Plenty of solid data on that round in the spread sheet. Thanks GLTaylor!

Appreciate your help Hard rock

Ok so here it is, powder charge test from today.

Rem 700 / 1:7 18" Carbon Six barrel / nomad Ti Suppressor / measured with a Magneto Speed
109 AH @ 2.771 OAL / Varget / 41.0 - 44.5 / Lapua SRP / annealed 3rd firing / CCI450 primer
Weather= 102* / 5% hum / 29.70

***These are results for this rifle and should not be duplicated as being safe in any other firearm without working up and finding what is a safe load in your rifle.****

41.0 = 2976 fps
41.5 = 3010 fps
42.0 = 3064 fps
42.5 = 3108 fps
43.0 = 3140 fps
43.5 = 3161 fps
44.0 = 3200 fps
44.5 = 3220 fps

Really thought I would pressure out by 44 Grns as most people have, but even at 44.5, no heavy bolt lift, primers look good but it's reaching case capacity at that point and I think pressure would build quickly from here. It's just over the edge of the shoulder. From 42.5 to 44.5 we're all touching with some horizontal stringing but I had some gusting winds to left to right about 5-8 mph. Just might stick with 44.5 and shoot a group with it, while I order some more!