Absolute Hammer load data

I will doing load work for the 69 AH's for a neighbor in a 243 after hay season and was trying to determine a good powder. Never loaded for 243 so slight will be winging it. I'm looking at varget but maybe too slow. Wish hodgon would lost case fill
Call or email Steve at Hammer Bullets. He'll get you going in the right direction

Little update on my stubborn rem 788:

308 win
Rem 788 (22" factory bbl 1 in 10)
2x Fired TA (Mil) Brass FL sized
Fed 210m
COAL = 2.805"

75 deg

151 gr AH
Alliant Pro varmint
0.003" neck tension +1/8 crimp

47.0 gr 2943 fps stiff bolt lift
47.5 gr 2972 fps hard bolt lift:Stop

This gun continues to pressure out early. With that said this is better than I got with other powders and cci 250s. I'll probably drop down to 45-46 and see how she groups

You might try commercial, higher quality brass. Military tends toward softer and less internal capacity (hence quicker pressure). Just a thought. Also try std rather than mag primers. I pressured out too early in 2 of my rifles using mags. Std gave me over a grain more powder!

Thanks! I've tried win brass and both cci 200s and this last load was with fed 210ms. I'd hit pressure at the same velocity, with more powder due to more capacity in the win brass.

Edit:
I half wonder if it's not a rough chamber, but really I'm not super concerned about it on this gun. It's a gun that's been handed down through the family so I'm not inclined to push this one too much!

Last edited:
FWI - 155 AH in Sherman 7 MAX

I've been running pressure testing with several powders over last couple of days and trying different crimps.

This is just my first try where there was no data posted, so I'm being cautious. Barrel is 26" Bartlein 5R #3. Action is Kelbly tactical with mechanical ejector, so there is no or little brass smear. ADG brass fired twice, I'm going on bolt lift and primer conditions only. Watching velocity closely with a LabRadar. I'm not ready to post data for now.

1. Hyb 100V Started at 59.0 grs. & coal of 3.034", 1/8 crimp. Heavy bolt lift @ 3161 fps w/61.5 gr. Maxed out @ 3,228 fps w/62.0 gr. , Very heavy bolt lift, cratered primers.

2. H-4350 Started at 57.0 gr. @ 3,013 fps. I maxed out @ 3,158 fps with 60.0 gr. Heavy bolt lift and flattened primers. 3.018" coal.

Based on the 2 faster powders, I decided to try a couple of slower powders RL-23 and Retumbo.

3. Retumbo - Started with 62.0 gr.@ 2,778 fps and went to 66.0 gr @ 2,990. I might have got another gr or two, but it was too slow. No pressure signs.

4. RL-23 I started at 62.0 gr @ 3,046 and maxed out with case capacity of 66.0 gr compressed @ 3,250. I plan on trying to get a bit more powder in the case, but was showing bolt lift w/slight pressure and flattened primers.

I increased crimp to 3/8 with Retumbo and RL-23, as I'm not getting really tight grouping of pressure testing. Need to shoot groups with the RL-23 to set crimp amount. I may look at IMR-7828 sc or other powders, but I think RL-23 may be the one. Was hoping for more velocity with 155 ah.

Add on: All primers used were CCI - 250s.

Last edited:
FWI - 155 AH in Sherman 7 MAX

I've been running pressure testing with several powders over last couple of days and trying different crimps.

This is just my first try where there was no data posted, so I'm being cautious. Barrel is 26" Bartlein 5R #3. Action is Kelbly tactical with mechanical ejector, so there is no or little brass smear. ADG brass fired twice, I'm going on bolt lift and primer conditions only. Watching velocity closely with a LabRadar. I'm not ready to post data for now.

1. Hyb 100V Started at 59.0 grs. & coal of 3.034", 1/8 crimp. Heavy bolt lift @ 3161 fps w/61.5 gr. Maxed out @ 3,228 fps w/62.0 gr. , Very heavy bolt lift, cratered primers.

2. H-4350 Started at 57.0 gr. @ 3,013 fps. I maxed out @ 3,158 fps with 60.0 gr. Heavy bolt lift and flattened primers. 3.018" coal.

Based on the 2 faster powders, I decided to try a couple of slower powders RL-23 and Retumbo.

3. Retumbo - Started with 62.0 gr.@ 2,778 fps and went to 66.0 gr @ 2,990. I might have got another gr or two, but it was too slow. No pressure signs.

4. RL-23 I started at 62.0 gr @ 3,046 and maxed out with case capacity of 66.0 gr compressed @ 3,250. I plan on trying to get a bit more powder in the case, but was showing bolt lift w/slight pressure and flattened primers.

I increased crimp to 3/8 with Retumbo and RL-23, as I'm not getting really tight grouping of pressure testing. Need to shoot groups with the RL-23 to set crimp amount. I may look at IMR-7828 sc or other powders, but I think RL-23 may be the one. Was hoping for more velocity with 155 ah.
3250 is nothing to sneeze at but I think there is more left in it

I will say I never saw the big gains in my 6.5ss when I talked to Steve the guess was made that those of us running Sherman cases may not see the big gains do to the case being so efficient already. I run the 123's at an average of 3392. I will say I need to re test rl 23 because I believe that powder will our run 4831 just my experience in loading the Sherman and the absolutes

I will say I never saw the big gains in my 6.5ss when I talked to Steve the guess was made that those of us running Sherman cases may not see the big gains do to the case being so efficient already. I run the 123's at an average of 3392. I will say I need to re test rl 23 because I believe that powder will our run 4831 just my experience in loading the Sherman and the absolutes
That makes sense. I've not shot cup & core 150 and 154s in the 7max, but I was wondering what the velocity difference might be between them and the 155ah. I have 140 ah to fool with in the Max.

I haven't messed with comparing like cup and core to the ah. That rifle shoots the 156 Berger's in the .2's and the hammers are .3's I actually had a rang officer shoot it and got it to shoot a .17 group. I use the 156's for steel and the 123's I hunt with.