Absolute Hammer load data

So how would you rate the pressure signs here? This was 58.3, 58.6 and 58.9gr StaBall 6.5 with the 123 AH in my brother's 6.5 PRC Xbolt 2.925 COAL with a Lee FCD tightened to the second notch. I'm wondering why the ejector mark disappeared from 58.3 to 58.6 but reappeared at 58.9. Based on the accuracy and ES/SD 58.6 is the go to load for both rifles I tested last weekend.

Also I think I'm going to try IMR 4955 with the 123gr AH, I had speed previously with Superformance but was looking to avoid the temp issues and it's right next to it on the burn chart.
Looks to me like you are creeping up on the spike, I'd load the middle 2 again if it were me

Last edited:
Bottom brass has too much pressure, the piece directly above the too hot piece looks to have a slight ejector swipe, use the one on the left's charge weight to dial in with .2 to .3 charge weight differences

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that the top is 58.3, the middle is 58.6 and the bottom in 58.9. I got heavy bolt lift on the 58.9 which is why there is only one of the 58.9 fired.

I've seen this happen with cases from mixed lots of brass and cases with different firings. All these rounds are with in a grain of powder, think you have found the end for this load. ADG brass is tough so any ejector mark is to much in my opinion. I would back the load down a grain and see how it shoots.

I've seen this happen with cases from mixed lots of brass and cases with different firings. All these rounds are with in a grain of powder, think you have found the end for this load. ADG brass is tough so any ejector mark is to much in my opinion. I would back the load down a grain and see how it shoots.
^^^^^This^^^^^^

Thought I would try 123AH's in a Bergara Highlander this afternoon. Wanted to use a non magnum primer to see what it would look like instead of a magnum primer. (I have enough time so I'm going to try the magnum primer shortly to compare so y'all can see the difference but cut out the 1/2 grain increments).

I seated them low so bare with me.

2.683" OAL
Lapua Brass
Fed 210M
6.5 Staball
123 Absolute Hunters
Bergara Highlander 6.5 Creedmoor
Beautiful day!!!

Reload Data-Ladder 6CM Highlander 123 AH.jpg

I'll be back shortly to post the magnum primer results.

So switched out the primers to F215M's kept everything the same.

Reload Data-Ladder 6CM Highlander 123 F215M.jpg

You can see that the magnum primer was increasing the velocity by 25 FPS basically for identical powder charge. What I love about these bullets is the velocity graph is pretty much a constant increase and doesn't deviate hardly any from a predictable path until pressure is hit. You can see pressure occurred pretty much at the same mark.

So after this I loaded up three of these at 48.0 grains since I had two in the same hole. It was a group of about 1.5" ES of 21. So I was guessing if I lengthened the bullet that would decrease my compacted powder charge to 2.759". So I did and loaded 6 at 48.0 grains, fired a shot then adjusted scope to for that shot. I then shot 4 more and waited 2 minutes between each shot and on the 6th shot it quickly after the 5th shot. Here are the results:

IMG_3426.jpeg

IMG_3427.jpeg

Shot 1 3141
Shot 2 3145
Shot 3 3140
Shot 4 3146
Shot 5 3145
Shot 6 3154 Quick Follow up Shot

Shot 6 was the lower right one of the group. You can see there's good grouping vertically. I did have a left to right wind of about 12 mph so I will shoot again and play with the OAL on a calmer day. Fun day at the homestead shooting!!!!

Last edited:
Excellent study and results! You did good! I bet others will be looking for StaBall 6.5. No one has reported trying that powder and your results are surprisingly good and quick!

Gotta love this stuff.
Note the 100 fps speed spike @ pressure. Lots of interest in this lately🤔

This truly is great stuff! I think it's fabulous how so many participants of this entire thread have come together to share their experiences, and help build such a valuable tool like the "Absolute Hammer Spreadsheet"! I may be redundant here, but many thanks again to GLTaylor for the selfless and precise work he's done to create, input, and maintain this spreadsheet! I suppose we should also thank Steve and the boys at Hammer Bullets for coming up with such an innovative new bullet. It's kind of neat feeling like we're part of an experimental team, and knowing our input will likely last for years in helping new shooters select and utilize the right combination of components. Thanks to all, and God Bless and protect "Our" 2nd Amendment!

Working on two rifles.
1st: 300max with virgin form brass
Tikka Action, Bartlein #3 at 18" and a 1-9 twist 5R and 18 rounds on it now.
178 Absolute Bullets
Load is at near pressure. Velocity today(3006,3001,3004)FPS, elevation 2900, temp 40 deg.
RL16 (66.10)
CCI250
Coal is 3.018
2nd: 6.5ss with virgin formed brass
Tikka Action, Bartlein #3 at 18" and a 1-7.5 twist 5R with 50 rounds on the barrel.
129 Absolute Bullets
Load is near pressure. Velocity today (3140,3130,3136)FPS elevation 2900, temp 40deg
RL16 (58.5)
CCI BR2
Coal 2.964

Brian

Ok got my M7 back out since it seems to hold pressure better than the other rifles, specs are as follows,

24" Proof Prefit 6.5 PRC
123gr AH
IMR 4955
ADG brass
Fed 210M
2.94 COAL
Lee FCD second notch

1615165905400.png

So based on my results 4955 seems to show more speed than StaBall for a given charge rate so might revisit 4955 in the other rifles to see If I pick up some extra speed.

Last edited:
Ok got my M7 back out since it seems to hold pressure better than the other rifles, specs are as follows,

24" Proof Prefit
123gr AH
IMR 4955
ADG brass
Fed 210M
2.94 COAL
Lee FCD second notch

View attachment 258708

So based on my results 4955 seems to show more speed than StaBall for a given charge rate so might revisit 4955 in the other rifles to see If I pick up some extra speed.
What cartridge is this? 6.5 PRC?

Last edited: