Absolute hammer bullets and sever overbore chambers

Wait wait wait y'all killed a Buffalo with a 6.5??? Impossible according to the majority of the members in the big bore enthusiast Facebook group.
You need at least 458 win and 500's or bigger (eye roll)
I tried to find it again, but can't

Didn't you kill a Cape Buffalo with a 180 Hammer, and a .300 RUM

300 Ax and the 181gr 3500fps. 1600lb water Buffalo. Not a bragging note but that same 181 killed 2 aoudad with a single round. Round punch through both shoulders on the first. Entered the flank on the second, tore through the stomach and liver and the diaphragm... the second was maybe 50 away from the first where I found it dead

Last edited:
That Butter Bean he did it to me too had me thinking about it for a whole 2 week camp shift i also have a 7RUM im building and **** im seeing controversy here about the advantages in an overbore cartridge so he get it the way he wants it hahaha gona be calling Steve i guess

Just guessing from 8000 miles way, but I'm not surprised given a major airway also traverses the neck. I'm not sure how many but I believe more than one buffalo was taken with the 124.

Some effect on the trachea not out of the question, blood pooling, exiting the nose by gravity, or a couple of breaths would not surprise me.

Also they've shot quite a few animals at this point. Spotty cell service, a few pictures with more details coming. It would not surprise me if a finisher was necessary either.

Personally waiting for a more detailed report when he gets home. ButterBean has also been speaking with him, and could easily have more info than me.

He's a very unique individual, in a very unique situation. He can load a few rounds, and just go hunting. Night or day. Lots of feral animals are at pest level, and culling them is encouraged, and ongoing. The daily counts will be interesting to see as well.

We have been communicating, both just personally, and on his testing for months. He is very thorough with lots of post mortem dissection pictures and notes. I have found him to be a very credible source.

Likely when he's home, had a nights sleep more details will be available.

Last edited:
Alright gentlemen, I have the full rundown, It's a bunch so I'm gonna condense it, They tested almost the full line of Hammers in a 375 H@H and 375 RUM and everything from 151 to 130 in 30 cal (300WSM) and the 124HH in the 300RUM, long story short, all bullets worked absolutely perfect except the 137 ( More on that to come ) but the 124 out penetrated everything by a mile, I need clarify ( Bad phone connection on the first call) the Buff hit in the horn was a 100 yard shot, the bullet went through the horn which is extremely hard, into the neck severed the spinal cord and was recovered on the far side of the neck under the hide with 2 petals 1 inch from the shank, the hide on this bull was 1.75" thick and the wound channel was two fingers wide, it was a bang flop, 2 other bulls were shot at 230 and 250 and the PH said they hit harder ( Judging the animals reaction ) than the 375's, They shot Feral Donkeys with everything and the 124's prevailed here as well, quartering shot through the front shoulder knuckle and it still penetrated 4 feet, the bullet was found in the opposite ham just under the hide, The key to the 124's success is speed, 3750 plus is the magic number, This is not a guess, we have been working on this for 6 months or better and now it is field proven, The PH has been a Barnes user but was in awe of the Hammer's and is converting all of his rifles now, in total 100 animals were taken, all with Hammers, So in conclusion in our opinion for Moose on down out to 500 yards the 124 ( driven hard) is a game changer. The 151@ 3500fps showed similar results and is well worth noting. We would like to give a huge thanks to Steve and Brian for working with and supporting us on all our crazy ideas, Whether they know it or not they are game changers, I also wanna thank my two partners all the hard work and trusting me

Bean

Alright gentlemen, I have the full rundown, It's a bunch so I'm gonna condense it, They tested almost the full line of Hammers in a 375 H@H and 375 RUM and everything from 151 to 130 in 30 cal (300WSM) and the 124HH in the 300RUM, long story short, all bullets worked absolutely perfect except the 137 ( More on that to come ) but the 124 out penetrated everything by a mile, I need clarify ( Bad phone connection on the first call) the Buff hit in the horn was a 100 yard shot, the bullet went through the horn which is extremely hard, into the neck severed the spinal cord and was recovered on the far side of the neck under the hide with 2 petals 1 inch from the shank, the hide on this bull was 1.75" thick and the wound channel was two fingers wide, it was a bang flop, 2 other bulls were shot at 230 and 250 and the PH said they hit harder ( Judging the animals reaction ) than the 375's, They shot Feral Donkeys with everything and the 124's prevailed here as well, quartering shot through the front shoulder knuckle and it still penetrated 4 feet, the bullet was found in the opposite ham just under the hide, The key to the 124's success is speed, 3750 plus is the magic number, This is not a guess, we have been working on this for 6 months or better and now it is field proven, The PH has been a Barnes user but was in awe of the Hammer's and is converting all of his rifles now, in total 100 animals were taken, all with Hammers, So in conclusion in our opinion for Moose on down out to 500 yards the 124 ( driven hard) is a game changer. The 151@ 3500fps showed similar results and is well worth noting. We would like to give a huge thanks to Steve and Brian for working with and supporting us on all our crazy ideas, Whether they know it or not they are game changers, I also wanna thank my two partners all the hard work and trusting me

Bean

Bean
So once again with Hammers, Speedkilz. Push em hard and let em eat. Amazing research. Thanks for all the data.

This is all very interesting. I'm setting up a 7 RUM right now and I don't really need this to be a long range rifle. I was leaning toward the heavier bullets, but with a 9.5 twist barrel, y'all have my wheels turning, thinking about smaller and faster now. Any recommendations on which hammer would work well?

This is all very interesting. I'm setting up a 7 RUM right now and I don't really need this to be a long range rifle. I was leaning toward the heavier bullets, but with a 9.5 twist barrel, y'all have my wheels turning, thinking about smaller and faster now. Any recommendations on which hammer would work well?
140's