Absolute hammer bullets and sever overbore chambers

It amazes me to think that there are folks out there that actually worry about stuff like this, Life's short and barrels are cheap, I'd be willing to bet that half the folks that talk about it have never burned a tube out
Truth! I never have, but my flamethrowers shoot at hair and I hunt with several different rifles. I won't live long enough to burn the barrels out of any of em. But when I DO pull the trigger on meat and it prrforms like that, oh my my!

It amazes me to think that there are folks out there that actually worry about stuff like this, Life's short and barrels are cheap, I'd be willing to bet that half the folks that talk about it have never burned a tube out
I wish I had enough powder and components to worry about barrel life. With the availability being what it is these days all I can say is, must be nice. Lol

I've burned out the throats on several barrels and replacing them is anything but "cheap". By the time you locate another quality match barrel, ship your rifle out to have the barrel threaded, chambered, properly headspaced and finished you could have easily bought a new factory rifle.

High quality match barrels are well worth the money to many of us but they sure aren't cheap.

Burning up equipment goes with the territory. As you mentioned above, gunsmiths and time without equipment is a consideration.

I have experimented with a Savage and a Remage. Both shoot every well and are the option for this, but you still have to order and wait or buy it ahead so it is on hand. Prefits are definitely worth it.

Custom rifles are $$$$, the "dues" to shoot in LR are what they are. No different than any other specialty sport. You can shoot factory rifles and you can shoot factory ammo. But that is not what we do. I have friends that spend way more money playing golf than I do on barrels, builds etc and on an annual basis. Greens fees are stupid expensive, individual specialty clubs are dang near price of barrels and they change them out faster than underwear, travel costs to golf destinations and oh yeah the fashionista's of the clothes!

Ok, you win, 6.5CM crowd might rival on fashionista!

Last edited:
I was referring to Adam32+P post. And I was being sarcastic.

Last edited:
Hammers gave changed how I look at performance. I previously religiously protected my brass so I could get max reloads out of the brass. Now I see a benefit to shoot "lasers" and I really don't care if I cut brass life in half or barrel life down. Its like having a muscle car and never hit passing gear. You have the "muscle" so why not use it!

Brass life has only come into consideration for me over the last year where components have been a challenge to acquire. Otherwise I reload for max potential, if not, factory would work just fine.

Hammers gave changed how I look at performance. I previously religiously protected my brass so I could get max reloads out of the brass. Now I see a benefit to shoot "lasers" and I really don't care if I cut brass life in half or barrel life down. Its like having a muscle car and never hit passing gear. You have the "muscle" so why not use it!
You've got your mind right now Brother

Recent Posts