Absolute Hammer 140 load data 28 Nosler

Josebigsky

Hey guys,

New to Hammer bullets but looking for a place to start reloading on the 140 grain Absolute Hammers. Running a 26 inch Shilen Barrel with a 9 twist in a 28 Nosler.

Thoughts?

Hey guys,

New to Hammer bullets but looking for a place to start reloading on the 140 grain Absolute Hammers. Running a 26 inch Shilen Barrel with a 9 twist in a 28 Nosler.

Thoughts?
I just ordered the 140's last week. Thinking the same thing. I was gonna try them in a 28 and a 7saum.

Hey guys,

Thoughts?
Call or email Steve Davis at Hammer Bullets. He'll get you a good starting place and powder. Absolutes like a faster burn rate powder. Did you check the Absolute Hammer data sheet that GLTaylor put together? Do a quick search on this site and you'll find it.

The Absolutes will show very low engraving pressure. This results in more or faster powder needed to get to pressure than is typical for the bullet weight. I like to start with a known quantity. For the Absolute Hammers I will look at data for similar weight lead core bullet and use the max listed load and work up from there. These loads will be very mild so choose a powder that has room in the case to work up. Watch your pressure signs as you work up.

Only do this with Absolute Hammers not with other Hammers.

I developed loads for a 28 Nosler with a 1:9 twist using about 78.0 grains of H4831SC. I would recommend you start at least a couple grains lower and work up to a comfortable velocity/pressure. I was getting velocities in the 3300+ fps range.

The Absolutes will show very low engraving pressure. This results in more or faster powder needed to get to pressure than is typical for the bullet weight. I like to start with a known quantity. For the Absolute Hammers I will look at data for similar weight lead core bullet and use the max listed load and work up from there. These loads will be very mild so choose a powder that has room in the case to work up. Watch your pressure signs as you work up.

Did you mean to say you start with minimum load on similar weight lead core bullets??? Not maximum load???

The velocities l obtained were at least 200 fps more than I was able to get with other makes of the same weight. However, I discovered that after seating, the bullets were a little loose in the case necks, so I applied a very slight crimp to keep the bullets in place. Subsequent trips to the range revealed a significant accuracy improvemet when I did this. In my 280 Ackleys, I've stayed with powders that provide 95 % fill densities and above and also those that are least affected by cold weather "hunt" conditions. So far the Absolutes have been 5 for 5 on elk ad 1 of 1 on mule deer, so
I've been pleased with the results.

Call or email Steve Davis at Hammer Bullets. He'll get you a good starting place and powder. Absolutes like a faster burn rate powder. Did you check the Absolute Hammer data sheet that GLTaylor put together? Do a quick search on this site and you'll find it.
Thank you. I did this first thing this AM.

I developed loads for a 28 Nosler with a 1:9 twist using about 78.0 grains of H4831SC. I would recommend you start at least a couple grains lower and work up to a comfortable velocity/pressure. I was getting velocities in the 3300+ fps range.
Thank you this was very helpful. I've got a lot of H4831sc.

Would you mind sharing:
-What primers you used?
-What OAL was?

Thank you.

Recent Posts