Absolute best powder...

For temp sensitivity it starts and ends with the hodgedon extreme line...imo.

The 3 that will work best for you are H4350 H1k and Retumbo with the latter giving the best velocity.

Id next recommend RL26 for a compromise of temp and velocity as it will likely outrun the Hodgedon's.

I personally build a rifle with a bullet, clambering and barrel length that will attain my goals with the 3 listed above plus varget.

For example, I'm running a 230 berger at 2950 with H1k. I could get more from 26 or n570 but I have 2 jugs of H1k and its easier on the barrel at that speed and is effective to 800 yards at sea level.

I've recently added a custom 6.5x284 to my collection. 700 action with a 24" Rock Creek heavy barrel with a Little Bastard brake. Im starting to work up loads for it and here's where the question comes in. What have you all found to be the absolute best powder considering both velocity and temp insensitivity to use? Your responses always make my reading and work more enjoyable and productive. Thanks all... Gibbs
Go to https://load-data.nosler.com/. Since Nosler does not manufacture powder they have no biases in their testing and provide information for everything your concerned about and give the most accurate powder and charges used. They are always my first choice, then I compare with manufacturers reload site. I think you'll find everything you want to know here.

After a dozen years with four 6.5x284's, using 140/142 bullets, H4831sc for target work Retumbo for hunting. Retumbo generally delivers an additional 75-100FPS with velocity in the 2950-3050FPS range and very good barrel life due to the slow burn rate.

I have been with 6.5x284 for last 10 years my favorite cal imr 4831 H4831 SC H4350 all good best for me 53 gr H4831SC 143 hornady ELD-X or Berger 140 VLD hunting out of Savage LR hunter and hart barreled 700

My personal favorite powder is retumbo. I have n570, h1000, RL26 ,h4350, imr 4350, rl22, I'm 4831, RL17, rl25 and a few more.
My opinion is that RL26 may be the most versatile powder you could find. Many folks have found it to work well in everything from a 22 creedmoor to a 280 rem and on up to ultra sized cases like 300 prc, 300 Norma & 28 Nosler.

My cousin and I both used the same load in our 6.5-284 1k light benchrest rifles.(under 17#) 48.5 gr H4350 with Lapua brass, Fed Gold Medal Match primers, 140 gr Bergers. We were running 3000-3050 if I recall correctly. We had tight necks so we had to turn our case necks. My best groups at Williamsport 1k was 6.8". Gun was better than I was no doubt. Hart accurized Remington 700 with a Hart 28" stainless barrel. As always work up to this load with caution. Your gun may not like this load.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.