Absolute best powder...

Gibbshooter43

I've recently added a custom 6.5x284 to my collection. 700 action with a 24" Rock Creek heavy barrel with a Little Bastard brake. Im starting to work up loads for it and here's where the question comes in. What have you all found to be the absolute best powder considering both velocity and temp insensitivity to use? Your responses always make my reading and work more enjoyable and productive. Thanks all... Gibbs

I've used RE23, Retumbo and H4831SC. All temp stable. There are others but finding any is tough. So just find, borrow a powder that fits in the medium slow, slow categories off of a burn rate chart and find a recipe that shows a load for what is available.

For years, Retumbo gave me great velocity and accuracy in both the 6.5-284 barrels I had. This was with the 140gn bullets (Berger & Hornady), up to the 156's.
I did experiment and try RL26 with the 147gn ELD-M and it was just over 3100fps (28" barrel) but I had that powder dedicated for my .300WinMag, so I stayed with Retumbo.
RL25 and AA3100 (discontinued) gave great performance with the 120gn class bullets. Velocity was over 3200fps, IIRC, (26" barrel) and I used it on Ga. whitetails and hogs and they absolutely could not stand it.
IMO, this is a great cartridge and easy to load for, at least it has been for me.

The eternal question.
We should ask Tony Montana and his little friends.
1597382934287.png

C8DD23D2-099B-4E30-9F08-9DE3805CA3B0.jpeg
I've recently added a custom 6.5x284 to my collection. 700 action with a 24" Rock Creek heavy barrel with a Little Bastard brake. Im starting to work up loads for it and here's where the question comes in. What have you all found to be the absolute best powder considering both velocity and temp insensitivity to use? Your responses always make my reading and work more enjoyable and productive. Thanks all... Gibbs
Reloader 23 !!!!!!!!!! I have used 4831 shortcut H 1000 retumbo
7F0385A7-3C91-41E5-8F21-969C1A7FC225.jpeg
reloader 26 and reloader 23 has outperformed them all for velocity stability and accuracy With the exception of reloader 26 being faster I got up to 3100 ft./s before pressure sign started but the accuracy was not there

I have had great luck with 4831SC and 140 Grain Berger Bullets. Maybe not the fastest set up but bug hole groups and great terminal performance out to 550 yards. I haven't had the pleasure of a longer shot with this setup yet.

Retumbo or 4831sc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.