abs advanced barrel systems

new shooter

i am still trying to have a custom long range hunting rifle built. I am trying to keep the weight down but have a stiff barrel. Has anybody used a rock creek cut rifled barrel carbon fiber wrapped by abs? 338-300 rum 30" barrel. shawn is going to build one for some one, but it will be six months before he has any data; thats to long to wait it would be a year before i have a gun. I think you can use anybodys barrel (like lilja or heart with this abs carbon wrap(?). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif looking forward to any imput. thanks

I got about half way through that link. Im proud of good grouper for just being able to read that much without getting a headache. He must have had better schooling than me and alot more patience to be able to read that much.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can use anybodys barrel (like lilja or heart with this abs carbon wrap(?).

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt use a Lilja. They are awesome barrels, but you DO NOT want to have any metal turned off of a Lilja. The proccess Lilja uses will cause the inside diameter to grow as outside diameter is reduced. Rock barrels are made differantly and wont grow when turned. I dont know about Hart.

I'm not real sure on this, but Mike at ABS said the bbls are not a turned existing barrel. They are made special to his specs, they turn the blank first and then do the boring and rifling. This way no change to the interior of the barrel. After the barrel passes his inspection he then wraps it. The barrel liner is a regular barrel and can be shot without the wrapping applied. There is enough material that if or when you wear out the barrel it can be re-bored to a larger cal. You dont just toss them away! One of these days i will get down there and go through his shop, its only 120 miles from me.
They are super shooters.

Dave

I would highly recommend the ABS barrel for your project. In fact, I wouldn't build a high intensity cartridge on anything else!

Originally, I wanted to have a Krieger barrel wrapped so I asked Mike D. what barrel contour to order to match the contour of the Rock Creek barrels he was using to wrap. We figured out what contour to order but then he told me about Rock Creek barrels. They are made on the same style machine as what Kreiger uses (cut rifling) but Rock uses more passes in shallower cuts which should prove to stress barrels less. So, I ordered a Rock and have never looked back. Great barrels and even better carbon! Sucks the heat right out of the barrel and does it so fast it's scary.

grouper......... I liked your thread on the green monster. The thermal imigary was great. The question I have is how does the external temperature relate to the internal temp. I hear the christian wrap is more of a thermal insulator as apposed to the aps conductor type of wrap. Do you or anyone have evidence of that? I am real curious about that. I like the $200 rebore but if you start with a 338 the next range of bullets are .375. I guess if you consider fluting a standard barrel and a carbon barrel they are close. I haven't seen much actual wear data though........... Brad

Thanks. I'm glad you liked the thread and pics.

Christensen's carbon also transfers heat but not to the degree that ABS' does. Christensen's are made more with light weight qualities in mind and the ABS is made with heat transfer as it's primary goal.

All carbon weaves are not the same. Some insulate, some are light, and some are thermal conductors. It is all in the engineering. Carbonman can tell you more about that than me.

In about a month, we will be doing some more testing and thermal imaging with a Christensen along side an ABS for comparison and will be posting the results here.

And that camera was not looking at the carbon material on the outside, it was looking at the stainless steel signature on the inside. Those temps listed were of the steel not the carbon.

great read /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I was going with the edge but it looks like i am leaning towards the 338-408 light weight. barrel length not sure. maybe 29"-30". what's your thought.

A 30" bbl would be the shortest i would build in a 338-408, 32" is the best to get all the powder burnt. The extra 2" with a carbon bbl dont amount to much added weight.

29" for the 408 cal
30" for the 375 cal
32" for the 338 cal

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.