GEG

I could not pass up a deal I found on a
8.5-25x50 30mm tube side adj. matte finish
Premier Leupold scope. I like and use the
standard mil dot reticle but have not used
a Premier USMC mil dot reticle. Anybody
have any comments on this reticle?
Thanks GEG

As you know the USMC mildot shape is that of a football, whereas the US Army mildot shape is round like a baseball. I have been on mildot courses where the guys with USMC dots used the army math and estimated in 1/10's rather than 1/8ths and they did fine.
One time my partner had footballs and I had baseballs and we agreed on our tenths estimations well enough to hit the unknown distance targets out to 600 with our first shots.
No doubt the pro-users would disagree. The propronents of the USMC shape have their reasons but for average use the footballs worked with the 1/10's and 27.77 constant.
Regardless, you have a fine scope and the potential to use it for repeatable hold-offs and ranging.
I believe that Mildot ranging is a skill that requires constant practice and polishing - it is really not very user-friendly at all. I was fortunate to be trained in it by two of the best, Bobby W. and Steve S. from Badlands Tactical Training in Oklahoma and their patience and skills gave me a very good understanding of how it works.
Dots work but lasers are so much quicker and easier for the average hunter.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.