has some of these already made up. Mike says
he will stand behind it that it will shoot
or the next one is on him. He seems to me
to be a stand up guy that is very proud
of his product. If any one has had a problem
with his barrels or policy, PLEASE reply
before I put the cash on the table! Thanks
for any info good or bad! GEG

I have a few rifles with his barrels, no problems and I'll continue to order his barrels.

What are you going to do with it?

Is it a LR hunting gun only or is it a 1k BR competition gun?

If it is a LR hunting gun, then will probably work as well as you want if not better. However, if a LR comp gun, then my suggestion would be to stay with proven comp barrel mftrs. Lilja, Hart, Spencer, K & P etc. You wait but it is worth the wait. My last spencer 2 months ago took 4 weeks for delivery. Liljas normally 4-6 weeks max. Lot of guys make big claims at times, look at results of their claims before you spend big dollars for something that might not be what you want. MR barrels might be very fine for this, but how do you know?

let someone else be the "guinea pig" with their money.

Good luck

BH

PS with that taper and length, if this is a gun you are going to use for comp, you are going to have a difficult time making either the 16.5 or 17 lb weight limit I think without fluting and staying with a 1" tube scope. Need to really talk to your gunsmith if that is a goal. If not, go for it.

Mike Rock has been making barrels for a long time and has a fantastic reputation for top quality barrels. My partner and I have some of his barrels and I can honestly tell you that they are superb - truely up there with my Harts and Liljas. I believe that you will not regret dealing with Mike, he is also a very interesting person and building barrels is in his blood.
Good luck with your new 6.5 project.

Mike Rock barrels ARE proven , so don't worry about being a Guinea Pig. As Dave and Ian said, you won't be sorry. Mike's original 5R barrels were the spec barrel for the M24 Sniper System, the Army's sniper rifle. Remington bought all he could produce and finally started making their own. Some of the old PSS rifles were barrelled with Rock barrels, and they are in high demand now, if you can find one that isn't shot out.
Good luck with your project...
smile.gif

Thanks for the reply from all you guys. I should have given more info about this
project. This will not be a BR rifle but
a LRH chambered in 6.5-300 Weatherby or
6.5 STW As far as a target gun, limes at
600 yds will be what we will tune for with
our hand loads. We can do oranges now with
our factory Remington's so we are looking
to upgrade by going custom. We have the
optics to see with, we only need a barrel
that can repeat its accuracy. Thanks again
for the post and more info is welcome. GEG

Mike rock barrels are very good. No guinea pig there.

Here is a target of the first group shot from a 20" 1-11.25 twist 5R Rock barrel.
308 match reamer and FGMM 168ge factory ammo
Barrel not even started to be broken in of course. It has 3 shoot and cleans prior to this group
16096512-2895-00A100AB-.jpg

Celt

Hummmmmm "my suggestion would be to stay with proven comp barrel mftrs."

OK, lets see

Rock has been making barrels for competitors for 20 years, He has lots of wins with his barrels. M-24 Contract, BR records as well. He is a one man shop and does not have as many barrels out there. Hence he does not have a Big Name to associate with. Each barrel is drilled by Mike, reamed by Mike, lapped by Mike, cut rifled by Mike, and then finished lapped by Mike, and finally inspected by Mike and shipped to you or your gunsmith by Mike. Call Hart, Lilja, Shillen, Douglas, ETC, and ask them who made your Barrel. Probably some guy making $6.50 an hour who could care less about how it shoots. (not always the case)

Ive used every barrel maker there is. I have basicly selected on 2 that I go to. Mike Rock in WI and Gary Schneider in AZ. also Boots Obermeyer in WI when I can get them.

There are lots of good barrel makers, I just stick to getting barrels from the Masters themselves not the employes of Masters of the past. Get my drift???

George Out.

Len,
Hate to tell you this but Rock barrels are terrible. All this stuff from these guys is just computer generated drivel. I need a new handle for my jack-all, how about sending that barrel to me - so that I can do you the favor of keeping you from a lot of frustration
wink.gif
What are friends for - right! If you have any old long 700 actions laying around taking up space maybe send one along with that crappy barrel..

Oh, yea, and if you might have one of those *** McMillan A-5's or McHale stocks just lying around, and some of those next-to-useless Badger rings and a base, maybe a crappy old Badger floorplate assembly and I would even take one of your totally useless and disapointing NXS's, the 5.5-22 might be nice to get out of your life - plus if you have any of those unreliable Jewel triggers gathering dust...
Len, I don't mind helping you out, but since I am doing you this favor, maybe you could include a case of that barrel-burning, totally inaccurate Black Hills Ammo - match 175's will be OK.

Anxiously awaiting your parcel(s)
grin.gif

You are too late! I just bent it trying to jack up my tractor which is hung up on a stump in the woods.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.