AB cannelure vs non cannelure

bob4

While back I bought some Accubond seconds not realizing they had a cannelure. ( .277 130 gn.) Not wanting to wait to shoot the new rifle I loaded and started development. They're shooting great!
Wondering if anyone one has knowledge if:
1. Performance of the business end is any different than the non- cannelure for hunting?
2. If there is gonna be much difference in the way they shoot Cannelured vs the Non?
Right now I can't seem to find more seconds. Not desperate yet just wondering for the future.

Shooters pro shops probably--- gotta watch but they pop up every so often-- they also had that same "blem" sale on 110AB .277 bullets a while back, I have not seen any difference in performance or accuracy potential in the 6.8spc with the 110ab bullets I have (blem vs new)

Have you harvested any critters with those cannelure ABs? I've pulled quite a few slugs out of deer, elk, antelop....and I'm always impressed with the expansion control of slugs with cannelures. SSTs, certain Sierra's, and interlocks. Seems that cannelure creates a more consistent 'folding' point and provides great penetration with rear portion of the bullet. Wish more options were available with cannelures.

I like Cannelured bullets in some cartridges, especially those with large amounts of powder. In many cases it seems to improve SDs if the case is crimped on the bullet correctly.

I have seen no difference in same brand bullet performance on game.
the problem any more is that you cant hardly find them any more. the solution to this is to apply a little more neck tension to the bullet. This is the reason I like bushing dies because i can go to a .001 thousandths bushing and get similar results.

J E CUSTOM

Cannelure. Yes if it's defensive ammo with out a question I'd crimp and use a cannelure bullet . I've seen and had My own noncannelure bullets back up into the case on many occasions and causing a compressed charge situation and if I didn't down load My plinking rounds it could have been ugly. My old M4 will feed on just about anything that will fit the mag. But if your in tune w/ your gun, you can feel when it doesn't feed or cycle right. Lee makes a factory crimp die which can be bought separate or in the 3 piece deluxe rifle die set. That will lessen the chance of n/c bullets sliding back into the case. Patriot.

I spoke with Nosler about the cannelure on some bullets I got from Shooters Pro Shop. I was told the cannuelure will have no effect on performance or accuracy (compared to bullets without it) and the cannelure will be gone by the time the bullet reaches the end of the barrel

Any time you disturb the smooth taper of a bullet jacket with a CANNULAR. You now have a weak Hinge effect in the jacket. Speed and spin force of rifling will open bullet jacket to cannular, The jacket hinges and mushroom stops. This principal is what made the old Rem Cor-Lock bullet the deadliest mushroom in the woods.
When I was a wildlife officer I crimped my damage control loads to make sure no bullet slipped with rough handling.
To get a consistant even crimp, Cut all cases in the batch to exact same length. This way you get a very ever crimp from case to case.
A long case will pop a knot where the shoulder meets the case body and make for hard loading shell when you must shoot quick and accurate on a multi shot kill situation.

I wanted all the advantage I could get, When shooting a crippled deer with a bunch of tree huggers in an audience on an Interstate highway mercy kill. BJ

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.