A2 pinned front sight installation service

MTtimberline

I have a 20 inch barrel I'd like to use for an A2 build. I've determined that the cost of tooling up for the installation of the front sight is not justified for one or two barrels. I am looking for suggestions of gunsmiths that perform that task. Any past experiences would also be helpful.

I know this thread has been up a little while, but I thought I would share this anyway, just in case...

I've used ADCO several times in the past to cut, thread and crown AR barrrels including having FSB's pinned. They aren't cheap, but they do good work. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Though, I do my own now. I use a homemade jig for drilling the pin holes in the FSB/Barrel. I clamp it down in my drill press, drill straight holes, then use tapered reamers to get the profile correct. I also drill a single straight pin hole in low profile gas blocks, and pin them with a straight roll pin. Like Geiselle gas blocks are done.

It's just extra insurance and the roll pin is easy enough to knock out if need be. I've never been a big fan of set screws/clamp type gas blocks without a pin. I've never actually had one shift, but with the roll pin I know it won't.

I will vouch for ADCO.

They would be my first choice for this and are the "go-to" for AR work.

Also, I like clamp-on better than the double set screw type. Even if the barrel is dimpled for a set screw, clamp on still feels more secure.

Assuming the GB is under the hand guard, it should be protected and not subject to external force.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.