A1-3, A3, A5 stock for 300 Win Mag

bhol

What are yours guys thoughts on the A1-3, A3, and A5 Mcmillan stocks for a med. weight 300 Win Mag build. Probably looking at around 9-11 lbs. without scope.

With the A3 and A5 do you guys think the adjustable cheek piece is needed?

If your going to shoot mostly prone go with the a-3 or a-5, drop in the heel is not the best for prone. I have both adj and non adj.

On all the non adj. I use a stock pack and adj the height with closed cell foam sheets 1/4" thick until I get a comfortable height.

My two custom prone rifles have A3's. Ideally, I would have liked to have an A5 forearm with an A3 buttstock. But McMillan won't mix and match like that! With the A3 buttstock you can make vertical angle adjustments by sliding a bag forward or back. With the A5 it has a butthook so vertical angle adjustment has to be done by using either different size bags or squeezing a bag. I find squeezing a bag to be not as stable as moving a solid bag forward or back and carrying various size bags is heavy and cumbersome.

As for cheekpieces, I definitely like that feature as I find it raised fairly high quite often. If you're not sure about it, I would recommend getting an adjustable cheekpiece because it is far better to have and not want.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

The best all round stock I've used was the Precision Stock Works stock that is made by McMillian, I shot a 300 Win like your describing and it was an excellent fit for an all round rifle. Excellent check weld even with a large Nightforce.

I would also go with the A3 if you are trying to stay in the 9-11lb range. I run an A3 with a 24" varmint contour barrel and a Viper PST and I am at 12.7 lbs without ammo, bipod and suppressor.

The adjustable cheek piece is most likely going to be a must but to save weight I would go with a kydex cheek rest like the Karsten. The internal ones look better but add more weight. I used a stock bag at first but didn't like it.

Depending on your barrel contour, you could always go with a Gamescout. It has a thinner forearm but an A3 style back end.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.