A-Tips, terminal performance on big game

Took a doe and cow with the 230 gr A-Tip last week. 300WM, ~2920 MV.

This cow was about 50 yds away. Exit wound shown. Bullet passed through top of heart and took out a small section of shoulder. 1" exit wound. She expired within 10 seconds. Couldn't find bullet or fragments. Sorry I don't have better photos, was focused on dressing my first elk.

Attachments

• 4AF9CFD9-3B57-42F7-8442-A6ADE26A0D47.jpeg
    4AF9CFD9-3B57-42F7-8442-A6ADE26A0D47.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 80
Took a doe and cow with the 230 gr A-Tip last week. 300WM, ~2920 MV.

This cow was about 50 yds away. Exit wound shown. Bullet passed through top of heart and took out a small section of shoulder. 1" exit wound. She expired within 10 seconds. Couldn't find bullet or fragments. Sorry I don't have better photos, was focused on dressing my first elk.
Thanks for the info, and congrats on your first elk!

Took a doe and cow with the 230 gr A-Tip last week. 300WM, ~2920 MV. This cow was about 50 yds away. Exit wound shown. Bullet passed through top of heart and took out a small section of shoulder. 1" exit wound. She expired within 10 seconds. Couldn't find bullet or fragments. Sorry I don't have better photos, was focused on dressing my first elk.
Congrats on the cow! Can you tell me about your rifle and load, that is smoking performance from a WinMag with a 230.

Congrats on the cow! Can you tell me about your rifle and load, that is smoking performance from a WinMag with a 230.
Thanks.

Factory Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon LR, 26" barrel, 1:8 twist
Sierra brass, 92.9gr H2O
Federal 215 primers (non-match)
78.6gr IMR 8133 (will be switching due to non-availability)
.01" or .138"(for mag feed) OTL, similar MVs
100+ measurements with Caldwell crono, have not confirmed with another crono yet but no reason to believe it's far off.

It's a hot load, so careful. Stiff bolt at 80gr. I've gotten about 13 firings out of the brass and now they're done. I've done preliminary load development with N570 and Nosler brass, similar MV with about 79.5gr. Still working on accuracy and getting SD down with brass prep and shooting skills.

This forum has really helped me with load development. I'm still learning so let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Recent Posts