A-Tips, terminal performance on big game

My experience with Berger 22 cal 52gr Varmint bullets is they are explosive due to their larger hollowpoint. Works on squirrels that I shot at 200-300 yards. I wouldn't suggest using them on big game lol.

And maybe that picture you took wasn't even your kills it was someone else.
You should read the thread you posted and pay attention to the discrepancies Broz and others noted. Broz spoke specifically about Bergers on "big game". Not varmints.

Too many variables to make unequivocal statements against a particular bullet, especially one that has such broad success. I, as well as many, many others, have had outstanding results with Berger bullets. Being overrated is a perspective issue. There's no question that they are very consistent and accurate, and have met the needs and standards of countless shooters for years. I take a more thoughtful approach to these issues. Really, I'm more skeptical of those who make strong, absolute statements than of those who are more objective and accept that there will always be anomalies to pretty much anything in this imperfect world.

Don't forget to make sure the tips are open on those little metplats. Little things often have out-sized consequences. ;)

I've shot a lot of biggame animals over the years but the vast majority were whitetails. The most decisive gun/bullet killer combo was my 7STW behind a 162gr A-Max bullet. Bang flops were the norm and I never had a deer go more than 30-40yds.

Today, I recognize that nearly any/every bullet fired from my 6.5 PRC or 7WSM will kill a whitetail reliably when the shot placement is good. Yes - terminal performance will vary with bullet style but the deer all die quickly just as assuredly.

I've taken animals with partitions, accubonds, Bergers, eldms and many more projectiles. So far, my most preferred is the eld-m. It's not classified as a hunting bullet. It's basically the same construction as a Nosler ballistic tip but with a higher b.c. The Nosler Ballistic tip is classified as a hunting bullet. I do not go with what the manufacturer classifies a bullet to be and run with it. I field test it and make up my own mind to determine whether I will continue to use it or not.

Like to hear more experiences and data collected from the A-tips on big game. I'd love to use them but can't seem to find much data on them in terms of terminal performance on game. What is the slowest recommended velocity for impact if indeed they are effective on game?

The 156 EOL is another option that will work I know, but I'm looking to eke out the maximum effective range with the 6.5 PRC. 153 A-tips launched anywhere close to 3,000 fps will go a long ways for sure, but I don't want to develop a load that I can't use for anything from woodchucks to elk... (Have been using the 147 ELD-M's)

In 8 pages of this thread, there is one A Tip use with good results, There are several VLD-M users with good results as well. You might also do a search to see if you can find any A Tip load data. cheers

Yeah, not a lot of response on the A-tip. More of a slug-fest of opinions. ;) I've since moved on to running Hammers and BD-2's for most of my hunting use.

I've also been watching the thread you attached above. Thanks sir.
yeah I was interested in seeing more A Tip responses and 156 EOL. Sorry for my part in the slug fest.

Oh look another Berger bullet supporter. IMO, I think they're the most overrated bullet on the market and they're over priced if you ask me. Not to mention you really have to get the seating depth down correct for them to shoot accurately which is annoying compared to other bullets. I've also had Berger bullets pinhole through game and the animal ran off with me not getting them. That's a fact the last sentence.
You get what you pay for. Its no different with bullets. There's a reason berger bullets are alittle more expensive than the run of the mill bullet. They are without a doubt the most consistent bullet across the board. I fought using berger bullets for years. Now that I use them, there's no going back. I'll pay a few extra bucks for consistency. This is coming from a die hard hornady guy.