A-Tips, terminal performance on big game

yobuck

I reached out to Gunwerks here in the meantime. They are planning to do more testing on them this coming season. Guessing others will too. Personally, I don't have the game volume potential to do a test like that, and am averse to taking the chance. At least one ballistic gel test was positive, but we'll need more real world experience before I'll invest myself.
Since you are from Pa, take a ride to the Williamsport 1000 yard match on a shoot day and look for a very old and very fat guy who answers to the name of Frank riding around on a power scooter.
He might well be the last man alive who hunted with a 6.5x300 Wetherby more than 50 years ago.
Realize that the only good bullet available then was the 139 gr Norma match. Which had a lead core with a metal jacket, making it illegal for hunting in Pa due to it being attracted to a magnet.
But nobody ever told all those deer that were killed with it so it didnt seem to matter, at least to them.
Around 1970, Hornady introduced the 162 gr BTHP Match bullet in 7mm and that is what upset the cart on the 6.5 Wetherby. Before his untimely death in a small plane crash, Joyce Hornady was questioned about using match bullets for hunting. And he answered by stating that (all his bullets) could be used for hunting.
Some are still using those very same bullets today, but you could ask Frank about that also, as well as his opinion on the ones you have.

Northkill

LRH Team Member
Four confirmed kills at a max range of 629 yards. Appeared to expand OK. Not as rapid as a Berger or ELD though.
Appreciate the feedback. Also looking at a 300 AX build. Sounds like I should consider the 215 or 225 Bergers and maybe the 230 ELD-M's. Would love to try the 245 EOL's (3,100 fps +/-) but afraid there's going to be length issues for the mag box...

acourvil

I've heard of this in say the 180 ELD-M's pushing high velocity out of fast twist 28 Nosler's. What speed and twist were you at with your 153's?
2980fps in. 1:7 twist, so they are spinning fast. But Hornady’s load info shows speeds in excess of 3000fps, and the A-Tip box says 1:8 twist MINIMUM. I have also shot a lot of other bullets at faster speeds and have not seen the problem with any other bullet (including the 147 ELDs).

Bravo 4

2980fps in. 1:7 twist, so they are spinning fast. But Hornady’s load info shows speeds in excess of 3000fps, and the A-Tip box says 1:8 twist MINIMUM. I have also shot a lot of other bullets at faster speeds and have not seen the problem with any other bullet (including the 147 ELDs).
Other factors can come into play. You may be on the ragged edge and something is pushing it over. What rifling does your barrel have (style, #)? How does the throat look (how many rounds through it)?

Last edited:

Trending threads