A Thousand Stars In The Sky By Len Backus

ADMIN

Administrator
"A thousand stars in the sky make me realize,
That you are the one that I adore."

-Song by Kathy Young

Those were the words in my mind as I approached the shore of Dream Lake in pitch blackness at nearly 11,000 feet of elevation in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. During that long summer after 8th grade, I had first danced to this song with a little wisp of a girl who sat in front of me that school year. In my high school years, those words would get me out onto the dance floor with her at the teen dances. This is still the favorite dating era song of me and my 8th grade sweetheart, Kathy Spaeth (now Backus). It will still get me out onto the dance floor with her every time it is played! And as for that pixyish little girl -- I love her much more than back then, but not as much as I will tomorrow. Read More...

1000-stars-1.jpg

This is a thread for discussion of the article, A Thousand Stars In The Sky, By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice article Len,
Thanks for sharing it, you made me think about a lot of things in life while reading it.

Very nice Len.

Kathy must be a very special person.........to have shared her life with you all this time. There's no way you knew what you were getting into in the 8th grade. But it wasn't blind luck!

Every year I would go out on an out of state hunt with about 8-15 family members. After everyone goes into there tent after hours of talking during night time with a good campfire going. I would still be out by myself, not worried about forest fire cause half the time we would have snow. When I look up, there are so many more stars at midnight than the first hour of night. One year, I grabbed someone nice leica BRF (wish I could keep 'em!) and looked up around midnight. It was absolutely amazing, literally it was exponentailly times more stars with a binocular than the bare naked eyes.

The irony here is I ended up sleeping in on these hunts while everyone were long gone before the sun even came up!:D

I didn't know you were so poetic and romantic, that's good specially toward the little lady the deserves it the most. God bless her heart!

"About you loving her tomorrow more than you loved her back then" is something that I wished every man would experience, simply because I have been fortunate enough to be in the same boat. It's just the truth!!!

By the way, beautiful shot!

Thanks for sharing!

released in 1960 or atleast pretty close, remember it well although I was only in 1st grade.

My hats off to you and yours for being together for so long and staying happily married. Known mine for 42 years and married 39. Thanks for sharing

Yes, 1960

A thousand stars in the sky like the stars in your eyes
They say to me that therell never be
No other love like you-oo for me-e-e

A thousand stars in the sky make me realize
You are the one love that Ill adore
Tell me you love me
Tell me youre mine once more (once more, once mo-o-ore)

Each night I count the stars in the sky
Hoping that you arent telling me lies
Youre with me tonight, Im captured by your charms
Oh, pretty baby, wont you hold me in your arms?

Tell me you love me
Tell me youre mine once more (once more, once mo-o-ore)

Each night I count the stars in the sky
Hoping that you arent telling me lies
Youre with me tonight, Im captured by your charms
Oh, pretty baby, wont you hold me in your arms?

Tell me you love me
Tell me youre mine once mo-o-re (I-I-Im yours)

I love the solitary time I spend in the woods or the mountains. It gives me time to think of loved ones and all the other important things in life to be thankful for.

I think anyone who has ever visited this site and seen your photography would agree that you have an eye for it. I would venture to guess that your heart is in it too wich is probably why your tallent is so easily recognisable.
As hunters and lovers of the outdoors its sometimes easier to put on a tough front. The ''I can do anything and go anywhere'',and ''no challenge is too great to see whats on the other side of the mountain'' attitude only half describes the heart of an outdoorsman. Im glad to see that there are some other folks that are almost floored by the greatness surrounding you in the mountains, and how that feeling can be related in some way to those most important to you. ie; wife/kids etc.
I have never been accused of being ''eloquent'', but you pretty-well nailed what many of us have felt, but have no words to describe, when we take the time to take it all in. The memories, and feelings start to flood in. Thanks for sharing.
P.S. I loved the picture,as much as the write up. The ''horsehead'' rock formation centered at the bottom of the photo (in the water) just adds to the whole thing! GREAT JOB on the photo Len.

Thanks for the excellent story. We hit the Indian Peaks Wilderness, just S of that area, quite a bit and the beauty is stunning. To my swiss lady, who is my hunting partner and also the only woman for me, they remind her of the alps.

Never hesitate to message if you're in the area and would like to canoe Lefthand Res for some amazing brookie action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts