A Store Bought Long Range Rig

I have store bought a large number of rifles over my 67yrs, and usually stick with Remington 700s. Recently I bought another Rem. 700, the 5R, in 308. Unbelievably accurate, comes with proper stock and has the twist to stabilize a 175gr bullet. I'm into the .75s at 200yd just working up loads!!! I am using one of my old Redfield 6-18 scopes. Once I get the best load, I expect this to drop to .5 or .6 at 200yd. Out of the box, the trigger is a solid 5-6#, and for all practical purposes, not adjustable - look elsewhere on the net and you can find an explanation on how to make the trigger a true 2.5# trigger that breaks perfectly and consistently.

The Venture has the standard round action. The Icon and PH have the flat bottom action with the T/C Interlock system. The action has three lugs that the action screws tap into. These lugs lock into the aluminum bedding in the stock.

Just a thought. You could use the Burris signature rings instead of the 20 MOA base and make up for the adjustment that way. They are my favorite rings and would handle the job perfectly!
Do they make them in 35mm?:)

Did you shoot it any farther than 100yds or did I miss those results ? What kind of BC did the 129gr have? Did you chronograph the velocity?

This was a review of the rifle, scope and caliber. Due to having only two boxes of ammo available, long distance shooting was not tested. However, if a rig shoots sub moa at 100 yards in this caliber then long distance should be no problem, if the shooter does his part. All information on the 129gr Superformance is available on the Hornady site.

I Bought my girlfriend the Venture in 270 and was blown away about how well this thing shoots! I brought it home with a box of winchester factory cheapo's, I put a Burris fullfield 2 That I had laying around and proceeded to break in the barrel. I shot it out my back door at 100 and the first round was six high and six right, cleaned the barrel and the next shot was in the first shot hole, cleaned the barrel and the 3rd shot was in the first two holes. I then sighted it in at 200 hundred and it was shooting sub MOA with a lousy scope and factory ammo. I then worked up some hand loads and this thing is Awesome she is punching water bottles at 600+ with it and it still wears the Burris. My one bad comment about this rifle in this caliber is it only has a 1 in 12 twist and I really wanted to shoot a 140 or 150 Berger VLD out of it, and those bullets need a 1 in 10 or faster according to Berger. I would love to Get this rifle in the 6.5 if the twist was right to shoot Bergers out of it.

JJ,
even though the rifle you tested has the interlock bedding system, would you think it
would benefit from skim bedding it?

Thanks.

Javier Moncada

For those who don'tthink the creedmoor is only good for 1000 yds where the .308 starts to go sub-sonic according to the sierra program (I can't remember which grain bullet but I believe it was 130 grain MK) the creedmoor was still supersonic at 1700 yards. Which I think is incredible. If you have the Sierra Ballistic Program check it out for yourself. It is on par with the 6.5X47 Lapua and I guess this is why the Army is using the 6.5 round now in the sniper role.gun):D

JJ quoting you: "That's when I wished I had some 140 gr. factory Hornady rounds. I could have reloaded some since the dies had just arrived, but this article is about using store bought ammunition. Believe me, after I finish this I will be heading straight to my reloading room to try the 140gr." Hornady bullets.

JJ am I to take it you sent the rifle back before loading an 140 gr bullets?

Was this before the Dimension model was public?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.